PDA

View Full Version : Afraid switching from PS/Dreamweaver to Gimp/Bluefish

Derek Djons
April 13th, 2006, 06:21 PM
Lately I've been thinking a lot about completely switching to Linux. The reason why it hasn't happened yet was missing applications such as:

- Adobe Photoshop.
- MacroMedia Dreamweaver.

A few weeks I have been playing around with Gimp and found out that almost all editing I do can be don by Gimp. The only reason why I stick with Photoshop is because I know how to work with it. But that problem has been overwritten with some user experience.

My only fear is actually Bluefish. The thing I like about Dreamweaver is that it can auto-complete your code while you are typing. This way the chance of making errors or spending more time writing everything down is reduced.

Can somebody tell me if Bluefish has by default or as an plugin the ability to complete the code? Also I'm wondering what will happen with my current projects. Is it possible that position placements are going to deviate? Already there are several differences between IE and Firefox. Is the same a possibility between Dreamweaver and Bluefish?

Thanks in advance for your answers and user experiences.

Stormy Eyes
April 13th, 2006, 07:28 PM
Here's a link to the features list (http://bluefish.openoffice.nl/features.html) for Bluefish. Autocomplete isn't mentioned, but Bluefish will automatically close your tags for you. If you type <span>, Bluefish will do </span> for you. I find this annoying, since it means I have to stop typing and reposition the cursor so that it's inside the tags, but I'm an incorrigible Vim user. YMMV.

ComplexNumber
April 13th, 2006, 07:59 PM
A few weeks I have been playing around with Gimp and found out that almost all editing I do can be don by Gimp. The only reason why I stick with Photoshop is because I know how to work with it. But that problem has been overwritten with some user experience.
if ever you need to extend the functionality of GIMP, you can also install photoshop plugins in the GIMP.

Derek Djons
April 13th, 2006, 08:45 PM
Thank you for your replies ComplexNumber and Stormy Eyes.

I think I'll just go ahead and try them together. Gimp and HTML + CSS in Bluefish. Since I have to reboot (checking the pages) in Windows IE + Firefox I hope I won't run into much deviations in placement for example.

dolny
April 13th, 2006, 11:26 PM
You can install IE under Wine to test the pages. I believe installing Dreamweaver and Photoshop is also possible under Wine (well it is). But switching to Bluefish (eventually NVU for the design and then cleaning the code with Bluefish) is a good thing.

benplaut
April 14th, 2006, 01:24 AM
photoshop CS2 works in cxoffice 5, but is extremely buggy and slow.

dreamweaver 8 works like a charm, after (wow) applying a crack to the installed binary.

Hilarious.

DaMasta
April 14th, 2006, 11:28 AM
Quanta has autocomplete features. I recently discovered how wonderful KDE is. And since gtk apps look lame in KDE, I gave quanta a try. I absolutely love it. It's a little heavier than bluefish, but it feels more robust.