PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Intel ips i915 boot error

Chrison999
October 15th, 2010, 12:13 PM
Hi, all!

I just recently switched from Fedora 12 to Ubuntu 10.10 because I was having problems with the ATI Catalyst video drivers in Fedora. The Catalyst drivers work just fine with Ubuntu, but I'm getting this strange error message when the system boots:

[ 12.983251] intel ips 0000:00:1f.6: failed to get i915 symbols, graphics turbo disabledMy graphics performance is "acceptable" but does seem to be a bit slower than when I was running Fedora (that is, before Catalyst killed Fedora). I have read through the Forums and it appears this is probably a kernel bug, but has anyone come up with a fix/workaround yet?

Btw, I'm now suddenly also getting this strange boot error:

[ 13.934309] /build/buildd/linux-2.6.35/drivers/hid/usbhid/hid-core.c: usb_submit_urb(ctrl) failed
This one just mysteriously started appearing mysteriously this morning. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to fix this one?

Thanks, in advance, for any assistance provided!

Regards,

Chris

fdmille
October 16th, 2010, 02:34 AM
This seems to be a kernel issue. I've tried the 2.6.35-22-generic and the latest RC7 for kernel version 2.6.38, neither work. I get the grub menu and the flashing curser, and then a black screen after the Intel ips message flashes on the screen for about one second. I do not get anything if I try to Alt F1 or Alt F6.

However, my system works fine if I use kernel version 2.6.34. This was the last kernel I used with Ubuntu 10.4.

:(

Chrison999
October 16th, 2010, 02:11 PM
This seems to be a kernel issue. I've tried the 2.6.35-22-generic and the latest RC7 for kernel version 2.6.38, neither work. I get the grub menu and the flashing curser, and then a black screen after the Intel ips message flashes on the screen for about one second. I do not get anything if I try to Alt F1 or Alt F6.

However, my system works fine if I use kernel version 2.6.34. This was the last kernel I used with Ubuntu 10.4.

:(

Hmmm... my system continues to boot after both error messages, and seems to run fine (although I do have a few "glitches" because it's a new install). But that's what happened to me with Fedora... worked just fine until a kernel update and then KABOOM! So, to try and "fix" that, I stoooopidly decided to try to upgrade from Fedora 12 to Fedora 13 and KABOOM I totally killed it. :(

Anyway, Thanks for your reply, fdmille. I guess I won't worry to much about the error messages because at least I don't get a black screen. Hopefully someone else will read this and provide a solution for you as, obviously, I can't help.

Regards,

Chris

P.S. What do Alt-F1 and Alt-F6 do and when do you press them? Just curious! :)

Mihai Chezan
October 16th, 2010, 06:00 PM
There is a new release (RC8 ) for latest kernel 2.6.36 that seems to do some changes to IPS and i915:

Andy Whitcroft (1):
intel_ips -- ensure we do not enable gpu turbo mode without driver linkage
Chris Wilson (1):
drm/i915: Prevent module unload to avoid random memory corruption
Jesse Barnes (4):
IPS driver: don't toggle CPU turbo on unsupported CPUs
IPS driver: verify BIOS provided limits
IPS driver: apply BIOS provided CPU limit if different from default
IPS driver: disable CPU turbo
Matthew Garrett (1):
IPS driver: Fix limit clamping when reducing CPU power