PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu One website (A small rant)

andymorton
October 15th, 2010, 12:00 PM
Can anyone explain why there is an American flag next to the English language option on the Ubuntu One website? (I don't want to offend any American posters on here (I genuinely love your country) but it is English after all). Just seems a little strange to me.

https://login.ubuntu.com/set_language?next=/5PF0SLBQVMKh1zwj/%2Bdecide

andy

zekopeko
October 15th, 2010, 12:11 PM
Can anyone explain why there is an American flag next to the English language option on the Ubuntu One website? (I don't want to offend any American posters on here (I genuinely love your country) but it is English after all). Just seems a little strange to me.

https://login.ubuntu.com/set_language?next=/5PF0SLBQVMKh1zwj/%2Bdecide

andy

Report a bug here: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntuone-servers/+filebug

andymorton
October 15th, 2010, 12:16 PM
Report a bug here: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntuone-servers/+filebug

Done! :)

Canis familiaris
October 15th, 2010, 12:39 PM
Have you considered it means U.S. English? I guess U.K. English and English International may be added latter?

arubislander
October 15th, 2010, 01:00 PM
Why is it a bug to have an American flag next to english, but it's ok to have a flag of Spain next to spanish? I mean most of Latin America speaks spanish too...

I think it's just a matter of convenience.

CraigPaleo
October 15th, 2010, 01:05 PM
That translation is in American English. It wouldn't make sense to have a British flag next to it. Wouldn't that annoy you more?

Half-Left
October 15th, 2010, 01:23 PM
I suppose other countries can pick their English but I not sure why Canonical use US English.

Maybe it's the cool thing to do and if people use it, the US might look at them more fondly. :p Canonical's main offices are based in London.

CraigPaleo
October 15th, 2010, 01:34 PM
I suppose other countries can pick their English but I not sure why Canonical use US English.

Maybe it's the cool thing to do and if people use it, the US might look at them more fondly. :p Canonical's main offices are based in London.

The translators are volunteers. Perhaps most of the translators for English were American? There are two Portuguese versions in the works so I don't see what would keep anyone from creating a UK English version.

We welcome volunteers to help us translate this site to new languages. If you are able to help, please visit our translations site (https://translations.launchpad.net/canonical-identity-provider/+translations#) to get started.

andymorton
October 15th, 2010, 01:36 PM
Why is it a bug to have an American flag next to english, but it's ok to have a flag of Spain next to spanish? I mean most of Latin America speaks spanish too...

I think it's just a matter of convenience.

I think it makes sense for a nation's flag to correspond with the correct language, i.e. the Spanish flag next to the Spanish language. Most of Latin America may speak it but it's still Spanish. In the same way that Americans, Australians, Canadians, for example, speak English. But it's still English.

That translation is in American English. It wouldn't make sense to have a British flag next to it. Wouldn't that annoy you more?

It wouldn't make sense to have a British flag next to it because there are other languages spoken in Britain other than English, e.g. Welsh, Celtic, Cornish. It would make sense to have an English flag next to it because American-English is a dialect, not a language, which derived from the English language.

And has as already been said, Canonical's main office is in the UK.

CraigPaleo
October 15th, 2010, 01:46 PM
Read my last post. Chop chop! :P

Half-Left
October 15th, 2010, 01:48 PM
It wouldn't make sense to have a British flag next to it because there are other languages spoken in Britain other than English, e.g. Welsh, Celtic, Cornish.

Well that's why it's England only then but I'm pretty sure the Scots and Welsh use British English spelling, like British colonies do.

There should be two options. British English(UK Flag) and American English(US Flag).

andymorton
October 15th, 2010, 01:53 PM
Well that's why it's England only then but I'm pretty sure the Scots and Welsh use British English spelling, like British colonies do.

Absolutely, but my point is that no matter where a language is spoken, whether it's Spain, America or anywhere else it's still named after and identified with the country of origin.
Besides if you told a Scottish or Welsh person that English is their country's native language they'd probably punch you. :)

arubislander
October 15th, 2010, 01:57 PM
I think I mislaid my spectacles (= glasses is en_US)

andymorton
October 15th, 2010, 02:02 PM
There should be two options. British English(UK Flag) and American English(US Flag).[/QUOTE]

Problem is English is such a widely spoken language. Where do we stop? Australian English, Canadian English, New Zealand English, Fijian English....and on and on.