PDA

View Full Version : Call for SCIM volunteers

theriel
October 15th, 2010, 06:33 AM
Hi all,

I'm not really sure if this is the right place to do this.. if not, I'd be happy to move the thread elsewhere. I was just seeing if I could see if anyone is willing to help out with SCIM? This is one of the main methods in Linux (it's not strictly for Ubuntu) for inputting non-Western characters. There aren't a lot of alternatives for people who need extensive multilingual input, and the project has been stalled for quite a long time due to having basically no one to help. And as of half a year or so ago, it's no longer actively supported by Ubuntu.

There's a very frustrating bug that causes your keyboard to completely freeze in most programs unless you manually click on another window and then click back, and with no one working on SCIM, I don't see this getting fixed any time soon. If you google SCIM and keyboard freeze, you'll see a lot of bug reports and comments on various programs.

I'm unfortunately not a programmer myself, although I'd be willing to help in other ways in the project, e.g. helping with the documentation, software testing, coordinating, etc.

A link to the project is here:

http://apps.sourceforge.net/mediawiki/scim/index.php

Hope someone has some extra time and is willing to help out. :)

Thanks!

Update: apparently even the one person left on the SCIM project is now gone. So there isn't a single person to contact, as far as I can see :/ We'd be sort of starting from ground zero.. not the easiest job in the world, but perhaps some of the people who used to work on the project could give tips or such. All the more reason for more people to help!