PDA

View Full Version : Way to go Ubuntu team!

drucer
April 13th, 2006, 05:06 PM
I'm not sure if this is the right forum, but..

I had a look at Ubuntu Dapper Drake flight 6 (developer/test version of the next Ubuntu Linux). I am impressed - I am very, very impressed! I don't know how you've done it, but installing new software on top of Ubuntu is so painless now. I couldn't imagine it being more simple than it is now. It is, in fact, easier than installing Windows software and it's _fast_!

I tried to look at things from the perspective of non-computer savvy person. I have some ideas. Once the basic OS is installed, maybe it would be a good idea to display the help window, so that the new user could learn how to install additional software. Many newbies will probably try to find this information on the internet, because they don't probably even want to click the "help" button because they have learned (if they are coming from the Windows world) that Windows help is not helping you at all on most the cases.

Ubuntu help really helped me get the essential browser plugins/media players/codecs installed.

Also, if we think about real "hardcore" newbies (heh, I couldn't express it in any other way) - they may not understand why Firefox is unable to display some web pages properly even if the real reason behind that is that they don't have Macromedia flash plugin installed. So, a simple guide explaining these things would be nice. A guide that would explain _WHY_ you need that basic stuff installed (Ubuntu help is already explaining _HOW_ you can get that stuff installed).

Anyway, I want to congratulate you Ubuntu folks! You've done amazing job! Microsoft has to be nervous right now.

nalmeth
April 13th, 2006, 05:39 PM
There is a lot of discussion on what should be done in terms of a help dialogue.
I am happy with the current state of affairs. You have a lifesaver icon on the bar when you install, and you can go from there if you need help.
I do think they should make it more comprehensive, but there is so much documentation and howtos (including screenshots and videos) on the net that you can find out what you need easily. It's just a matter of organizing the documentation so it is easy to navigate and find just what you need.
The Ubuntu Document Storage Facility is really good, and wiki.ubuntu is great aswell.
Ubuntuforums is the best place to be though.
During the ubuntu install, the installer should give an option to register you with ubuntuforums.
A lot of people might not know this kind of help is readily available.
Congrats on making Ubuntu work for you!
Spread the word!

drucer
April 13th, 2006, 11:09 PM
Uujee! Thanks for the tips man! Ubuntu rocks!