PDA

View Full Version : We got ourselves a Tivo

lisati
October 15th, 2010, 03:56 AM
Our new Series 3 Tivo arrived the other day, and we're loving it.

The only annoyance we've had so far (apart from not having the proper access key to transfer files between it and our other computer gear) is that our sound system isn't always recognizing the all of the channels from recordings and TV shows with 5.1 sound. Turning the sound system off and on again seems to reset it, as does disconnecting the cable and reconnecting it.

What I'm thinking is that either there's a small amount of signal degradation being introduced somewhere (damaged cable? dust?) or there's a compatibility issue. The sound system and the cable are something like 8 years old, and until now have worked perfectly.

KiwiNZ
October 15th, 2010, 04:06 AM
Are you a Telecom customer for your ISP? there is s hidden gift if you are . Do you have the correct HDMI cable ? you need a 1.3b

lisati
October 15th, 2010, 04:08 AM
Are you a Telecom customer for your ISP? there is s hidden gift if you are . Do you have the correct HDMI cable ? you need a 1.3b

Yes, we're Telecom, and we're using optical output for the sound.

Edit: I'm aware of the downloads not counting towards the metered usage.

KiwiNZ
October 15th, 2010, 04:10 AM
Yes, we're Telecom, and we're using optical output for the sound.

I started with Optical and had lag and all sorts of hassles so ended up just using HDMI.

Have you noticed your Data usage on your Broadband plan or lack there of since getting Tivo ? cool huh :)

KiwiNZ
October 15th, 2010, 04:12 AM
Its all usage , in effect you have uncapped Broadband. Mine has been like that for 8 months now.

lisati
October 15th, 2010, 04:14 AM
I started with Optical and had lag and all sorts of hassles so ended up just using HDMI.

Have you noticed your Data usage on your Broadband plan or lack there of since getting Tivo ? cool huh :)

We've only had it a couple of days, and were aware of the "free" content.
I must get round to updating our sound system and TV to something that's HDMI capable, but I'm likely to meet resistance from Mrs Lisati on budgetary grounds. Unless I'm mistaken, our current TV was one of the last with a CRT sold by the shop we got it from.

KiwiNZ
October 15th, 2010, 04:19 AM
Tell her its a gift for her :P

But that never works for me , harassing I find works best.

lisati
October 15th, 2010, 04:25 AM
:lolflag:

Giant Speck
October 15th, 2010, 06:28 AM
That was the longest mod-to-mod back-and-forth I've seen in a while! :P

I've been thinking about getting a Tivo. I pay about $120 a month for my TV/Internet/phone package, but I hardly ever watch television. I think that if I had the ability to record multiple shows, I'd watch it more.

lisati
October 15th, 2010, 06:32 AM

I've been thinking about getting a Tivo. I pay about $120 a month for my TV/Internet/phone package, but I hardly ever watch television. I think that if I had the ability to record multiple shows, I'd watch it more.

The particular model we have has dual tuners, which lets us record two shows and watch something we recorded earlier. Pity the optical digital output for the sound has been a bit flaky, but thankfully there's a workaround.

NightwishFan
October 15th, 2010, 07:49 AM
Sound cool, I might have to look into this. I am one of those backwards people without television. My mother used to say who needs tv when you have a window (she meant in the car of course when that came out). :D

sudoer541
October 16th, 2010, 02:10 AM

LOL!!! I was going to say (write) the same thing!!! :P

drawkcab
October 16th, 2010, 03:23 AM
I pay about $120 a month for my TV/Internet/phone package

Insanity.

I pay for an internet connection and just use an HTPC when I want to watch something on my tele. I mean, if you're going to record the show with a Tivo, why not just download or stream it and save yourself a bundle of money? I find that, with this model, I tend to consciously select and watch better programming than I would just flipping through the channels.

What I really miss is live sports coverage. But, on the other hand, I watch sports less as a result and, when I do watch sports, I call friends and meet at the bar which is more fun anyway.

Dustin2128
October 16th, 2010, 03:33 AM
Sound cool, I might have to look into this. I am one of those backwards people without television. My mother used to say who needs tv when you have a window (she meant in the car of course when that came out). :D
who needs TV when you have hulu, is what she meant. I could totally live without satellite TV.

Giant Speck
October 16th, 2010, 04:02 AM
Insanity.
Also known as "Alaska".