PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] Where do I install apps/drivers/etc???

haciendadad
October 15th, 2010, 03:38 AM
One thing that has always confused me is where to install apps? Windows has "Program Files", Apple has "apps" but Linux has /var, /tmp, /etc, /usr, /opt, etc.

Currently I have to install a Xerox printer driver and I have to specify the install directory yet which one do I choose?

I am using Ubuntu 10.04

oldos2er
October 15th, 2010, 04:22 AM
Usually the package manager takes care of where all the various files are installed.

What's the name of the driver file you need to install?

wishyjr
October 15th, 2010, 11:47 AM
Yeah, one of the more common things people new to ubuntu (or linux in general) is 'where things go' when installing software.

in windows, things are generally installed into a single directory but in linux, files are created/modified all over the filesystem - sounds messy, but really its not when you get used to it.

Using a package manager like Synaptic really, as oldos2er has mentioned, handles all this for the user.

Unfortunately, some packages (like a driver) aren't handled by the package manager. In these cases, it's wise to carefully read the instructions that should come with the driver).

But as a hint, usually, you can create a folder in the home directory to get things moving.

haciendadad
October 16th, 2010, 12:45 AM
Usually the package manager takes care of where all the various files are installed.

What's the name of the driver file you need to install?

I downloaded the driver from the Xerox web site. The readme says this:

run setup within the install directory as root to install the driver.

NOTE: setup will expand and install the compressed tar file in the install
directory, generate script files and other files that are needed
at run time. The following syntaxes are supported:
1) setup <== menu driven install
2) setup tmp_path <== menu driven install
3) setup install install_path <== no menu, just install
4) setup install install_path tmp_path <== no menu, just install
install_path is the installation directory which will contain all
the Xerox software.
tmp_path is a temporary work area. /tmp is the default work area.

so I expanded this in the directory: /home/joey/Desktop/XeroxLinuxi686xpxxInstall

When I try to execute the setup file (using this syntax "sudo ./setup") I get this error:

/usr/bin/lpq: Error - unknown destination "/tmp"!
................ERROR: Invalid argument

tmp exist and looks like this: drwxrwxrwt 15 root root 4096 2010-10-15 19:42 .

Any suggestions?