PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] A few questions about Squid

Drakmor
October 15th, 2010, 12:28 AM
So, having fixed my connection issues with squid, I have a few other questions about it, not in any particular order:

1. How/ can I make squid not cache? I only need it for proxying.

2. How do I use SSL with Squid?

3. This one's kind of complicated. At my school, there's a web block. I decided to set up squid to see if I can get around it. When I access squid from school, it asks for the username and pass I set up, and accepts what I put in. However, when I try to go to a site that's normally blocked, say, facebook or softpedia, I get an error. It says that squid can't access the page it's trying to get to. However, the page it's trying to get to is the page that normally says that the page is blocked. Some of the people I've talked to say that I need to set something up so that my browser skips the school's internet server completely and only uses squid, but I have no idea how to do this.

Also, I'm not sure what peoples' views are of circumnavigating web blocks or the like, but I want to point something out first. At my school, if the net admins see you bypassing their block with a proxy or something else that you set up, they'll be impressed enough that they'll really not care. They basically just don't want random delinquents accessing game sites and other things like that, but if you're computer savvy enough, they appreciate it.

Thanks!