PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] best PnP PCMCIA card for Dell Inspiron 8100 in 10.04?

BrokerDon
October 15th, 2010, 12:00 AM
I finally got around to trying Ubuntu 10.04 on a "decommissioned" Dell Inspiron 8100 1.2Ghz P3 512MB RAM 40GB HD... and Ubuntu is absolutely AMAZING compared to Windows! I'm a Mac guy and honestly Ubuntu gives 90% of the Mac OS GUI and 0% of the "brain damage" of WinBLOWS... AWESOME!!!

The only thing missing in this laptop is WiFi which I want to do via one of the PCMCIA slots since the mini-PCI is a combo 10/100 network + v.90 modem card... and I need to keep the Ethernet port and fax modem capabilities.

What are the best "Plug n Play" PCMCIA WiFi cards for our "G" and "N" WPA2 ONLY Airport Express WiFi network?

I'm new to Linux so I'd really like to avoid editing and replacing system files and drivers if possible to get a PCMCIA card working.

I'd also like a card that works in WinXP Pro SP3 since this laptop is dual boot capable.

Yes, I read the WifiDocsWirelessCardsSupported thread (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WifiDocs/WirelessCardsSupported) and the FSF Wireless Cards & USB (http://www.fsf.org/resources/hw/net/wireless/cards.html) pages but it left me wanting for a user verified PnP solution... Especially since I'll probably buy the card off eBay with no return possibilities if it doesn't work.

Thanks again for the AWESOME Ubuntu OS... Its given new life to this otherwise POKEY WinBLOWS laptop! :biggrin:

BrokerDon
October 27th, 2010, 12:10 AM
Well I did my own research and ended up choosing a Belkin F5F8013 v3.000 wireless N notebook card and it works PERFECTLY right out of the box in Ubuntu 10.04 without installing ANY drivers!!!

It also easily installed in Windows XP Pro SP 3 using the latest Belkin WinXP v3.0000 drivers from Belkin's support page.

HIGHLY RECOMMENDED especially after seeing all the HORROR stories and convoluted workarounds other users we're having to do just to get a PCMCIA card working reliably.

Even better it only cost $11.97 including shipping on eBay... and it was BRAND NEW still in the shrink wrap !!!

:popcorn: