PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Replacing 32-bit processor w/64-bit after breakdown. Potential for trouble?

abelundercity
October 14th, 2010, 09:46 PM
After a motherboard/processor failure (not 100% sure which, so replacing both), the most viable solution for my older hardware has turned out to be a 64-bit processor/mobo combination. Once my hard drive is plugged into the board, will it still boot up my version of Ubuntu 10.04 well enough for me to download a 64-bit version of 10.10? Or should I just head back into the eBay trenches to find a 32-bit board? Any advice would be welcome. Am planning to make the purchase tomorrow, as I can't go without a home PC much longer.

cascade9
October 14th, 2010, 10:02 PM
As long as you are talking x86 (I'm guessing you would be), you dont have to run 64bit on a 64bit capable CPU/motherboard. 32bit works on on AMD64/x86-64.

If your machine is from the last 5 years or newer, its probably 64bit capable already.

About the only thing that causes major problems like that is video drivers. If you are running nVidia or ATI proprietary, and your changing the video card then remove the drivers before you change the card. Since you are not changing video cards, then you should be fine. ;)

Good luck....not that you (should) need it ;)

abelundercity
October 14th, 2010, 10:10 PM
Awesome. Thanks for the info. That's such a load off my mind.

cascade9
October 14th, 2010, 11:09 PM
No problem ;)