PDA

View Full Version : Proposed: Minneapolis/St. Paul LoCo team

TeeAhr1
April 13th, 2006, 03:44 PM
I cannot possibly be the only Ubuntu user in Minnesota, nor the only one with a pile of CDs laying around to give away. So on that note, let's get something together! I'd like to start putting CD packs out there with more than my name on them for support, maybe start teaming up with TCLUG for installfests, etc. Anyone interested, reply here and I'll shoot you an email.

-pete

TeeAhr1
April 15th, 2006, 06:55 PM
*shameless bump*

gruvola
May 2nd, 2006, 06:49 AM
Greetings,

I live just north of St. Paul. If I had more time, I wouldn't mind trying to help a bit with this Distro but I am a total (41 year old) rookie.

I did, however, manage to install Ubuntu on a 'wiped' Pent III 500 MHz machine I got for $20 from work, install an internal modem that had no drivers for Linux, find the drivers, install them via terminal and get the whole thing to work.

I've also successfully added several applications and have had some fun, but that's it - beyond that I'm a liability!

Peace,
gruvola

TeeAhr1
May 4th, 2006, 07:01 PM
Holy crap, a reply! I thought this thread was dead in the water!

It sounds like you went through quite a lot to get your box off the ground, congratulations on your victory! I have a standard HP machine (Richfield Best Buy special), and it has been a dream for me. My hardware issues have been nonexistant. But my roommate has an HP laptop with an onboard video card that is totally unsupported and has been the cause of much frustration and mid-afternoon drinking, so I empathise with the hardware woes.

Anyway, I'm pretty "rookie" myself, I dual-booted for a couple months, been running straight GNU/Linux (except for Civ4) since about December, thanks to the superhuman patience and excellent advice from these forums (thx, guys!). But I think I'm in mostly the same boat as you described; I know just enough to be able to break things very effectively. But every time I do, I learn how to fix it and not break it in the same way again, and I feel that's a net gain :)

Anyway, pointless posting, I just wanted to shout out to a hometowner!

best- pete