PDA

View Full Version : C: pointers, arrays, array of pointers

Pithikos
October 14th, 2010, 07:46 PM
I am really confused about this concept and I have to be done with an exercise for university until tomorrow.
I got an understanding of what pointers and arrays are.
Pointers are "variables" containing the memory adress of some variable.
Arrays are just a bunch of variables that you can access easily by an index number.

Where it gets furstrating is when I have to make a program that takes parameters. An example:

#include <stdio.h>

int main(int argc, char *argv[]) {

int i=0;
printf("first string's adress: %p\n", argv[0]);
printf("number of arguments: %d \n", argc);

printf("first string %s\n", *argv[0]); /*HERE IS THE PROBLEM*/

for (i=0; i<argc; i++){ /*this I saw from somewhere and it works although I don't understand it completely*/
printf("%s\n", *argv);
}
return 0;
}
Isn't it so that "argv[]" is just an array with pointers inside? So to get to the information of the array's first element i should just go with "*argv[0]" as argv[0] holds the address for the first element/parameter. And that element is a string so using "%s" should be right :confused:

Where am I wrong? Please try to explain in simple words. I read a bunch of tutorials and everything but I just got more confused.

GeneralZod
October 14th, 2010, 08:04 PM
argv[0] will be of type char*, which you can use with printf("%s", blahblah).

*argv[0] will be of type char - in fact, it will be the first character of the first argument (argv[0][0] would be another way of writing this :))

This:

for (i=0; i<argc; i++){ /*this I saw from somewhere and it works although I don't understand it completely*/
printf("%s\n", *argv);
}

should be

for (i=0; i<argc; i++){
printf("%s\n", argv[i]);
}

Would it be clearer if you could see where the strings came from?

const char *nice_foodstuffs[] = { "sausage", "bacon", "eggs" };
for (int food_type = 0; food_type < 3; food_type++)
{
printf("Yum - I sure like %s!\n", nice_foodstuffs[food_type]);
};

A minor variation:

const char* third_food_type = "eggs";
const char *nice_foodstuffs[] = { "sausage", "bacon", third_food_type };
{
printf("Yum - I sure like %s!\n", nice_foodstuffs[food_type]);
};
printf("But I especially like the third food type: %s\n", third_food_type);

or

{
printf("Yum - I sure like %s! It begins with the letter '%c'\n", nice_foodstuffs[food_type], *nice_foodstuffs[food_type]);
};

or

{
printf("Yum - I sure like %s! It begins with the letter '%c'\n", nice_foodstuffs[food_type], nice_foodstuffs[food_type][0]);
};

dwhitney67
October 14th, 2010, 08:26 PM
And yet another example...

#include <stdio.h>

void function(int argc, char** argv)
{
for (int i = 0; i < argc; ++i)
{
printf("%s\n", *(argv+i)); // here, the pointer is incremented by i, then dereferenced.
}
}

int main(int argc, char** argv)
{
function(argc, argv);

return 0;
}

pbrane
October 14th, 2010, 09:39 PM
argv[0] will be of type char*, which you can use with printf("%s", blahblah).

*argv[0] will be of type char - in fact, it will be the first character of the first argument (argv[0][0] would be another way of writing this :))

This:

printf("%s\n", *argv);
}

How does this work? It doesn't work for me:

$ ./argv test two three
./argv
./argv
./argv
./argv

it just prints the first element of argv, the program name, which in this case I called the test program argv

dwhitney67's example works, and I understand why it works.

r-senior
October 14th, 2010, 09:48 PM
No it doesn't work. If you look back at GeneralZod's post, it says that the piece of code you list should be something else, i.e. it should use argv[i].

dwhitney67
October 14th, 2010, 10:12 PM
No it doesn't work. If you look back at GeneralZod's post, it says that the piece of code you list should be something else, i.e. it should use argv[i].

Or use *(argv + i).

Note for the OP:

*argv is the same as *(argv + 0)

Pithikos
October 14th, 2010, 10:19 PM
Sorry, I posted the code after I edited it to test things. So
for (i=0; i<argc; i++){
printf("%s\n", *argv); }

Should be:

for (i=0; i<argc; i++){
printf("%s\n", *argv++); }

Pithikos
October 14th, 2010, 10:30 PM
By the way can someone explain me this?:
char *food[] = { "sausage", "bacon", "eggs" };Does this mean we have an array "food" that has pointers and each pointer points to a string(sausage, bacon, eggs)?
so food[0] has the adress of string "sausage"
so food[1] has the adress of string "bacon"
so food[2] has the adress of string "eggs"
Is my assumption right?
And if it is then shouldnt "printf("%s", *food[1])" print "bacon" on the screen? As food[1] has the adress of string "bacon" and adding the asterisk infront of it should get the value where it's pointing?
I am really confused :S

dwhitney67
October 14th, 2010, 10:37 PM
Why don't you develop a small little program and test your questions? You learn much more by doing, than merely by reading.

lloyd_b
October 14th, 2010, 11:53 PM
By the way can someone explain me this?:
char *food[] = { "sausage", "bacon", "eggs" };Does this mean we have an array "food" that has pointers and each pointer points to a string(sausage, bacon, eggs)?
so food[0] has the adress of string "sausage"
so food[1] has the adress of string "bacon"
so food[2] has the adress of string "eggs"
Is my assumption right?
And if it is then shouldnt "printf("%s", *food[1])" print "bacon" on the screen? As food[1] has the adress of string "bacon" and adding the asterisk infront of it should get the value where it's pointing?

Pointers and arrays (which are basically the same thing, expressed in two different ways) are generally pretty confusing to newcomers. But they are *very* powerful, so it's necessary to learn them.

First tip - you need to realize there's no such thing as a "pointer to a string" in C. Or a "pointer to an array" for that matter. What you are pointing to is to the first element of that array. "food[1]" is exactly the same thing as "&food[1][0]", a pointer to the character at the start of the food[1] array. Calling something a "pointer to an array" is just easier than saying "pointer to the first element of an array" :)

For printf(), the "%s" format expects a character pointer, which is expected to be the a pointer to the first element of a zero-terminated string. 'printf("%s\n", food[1])' fulfills this requirement, while 'printf("%s\n", *food[1])' does not, as *food[1] is not a pointer, but the contents of the memory pointed to by food[1], the letter 'b'.

Hope I didn't confuse you further :)

Lloyd B.

Pithikos
October 15th, 2010, 01:14 AM
No in fact that last post helped me a lot :P
I tested a lot following what you said and it seems to make some sense now. I just had a hard time understanding that a pointer points only to the first character of a word. Noone ever mentions it in any book or tutorial so clearly out as you did.
Secondly from some assumption I understood that
printf("%s", x) requires an address in the place of x, something that is totally different for the other cases that don't deal with arrays.
Then I found written somewhere that according to ANSI standard
ptr=&array[0] is the same thing as
ptr=array So that also explains why in the hell you can print a string with just giving the array name.
Well I guess I will be able to finish that exercise now after fighting with pointers and arrays for hours :rolleyes:

Pithikos
October 20th, 2010, 12:36 PM
btw I found this cool program in Ubuntu repository called "cdecl". You can run it and type any declaration of variables, arrays etc and it outputs the declaration in plain english.

example:

cdecl> explain int (*arr)[3];
declare arr as pointer to array 3 of int
cdecl> explain int **arr[3];
declare arr as array 3 of pointer to pointer to int
Cheers

Zymus
October 20th, 2010, 05:15 PM
int main(int argc, char** argv)
{
printf("Number of arguments: %d\n", argc);
for(int i = 0; i < argc; i++)