PDA

View Full Version : Welcome to the Ubuntu Canada Team forum!

hypatia
October 14th, 2010, 06:30 PM
Thanks to Darcy for getting the forum set up, and to Joeb454 for troubleshooting some weirdness getting started.

bran
October 14th, 2010, 06:32 PM
we are live. kinda nice.

zykotick9
October 15th, 2010, 04:08 AM
Darcy, hypatia, Joeb454 and anyone else involved in making the Canada Loco forums happen - thank you!

From someone who has seen this repeatedly requested - it's nice to see it happen!

Good job!

George (aka ZykoticK9)

teejay17
December 13th, 2010, 06:39 PM
Hey, glad to see a forum for Canadians!
I'm from Sudbury.

kingspider
March 30th, 2011, 05:20 PM
Hello from Ottawa

Good to see everyone here :P

teejay17
April 6th, 2011, 02:12 PM
Hello from Ottawa

How's Ubuntu treating you so far?

d4m1r
October 13th, 2011, 04:26 AM
Hello from Ottawa

Hello from Ottawa as well! Ubuntu has been treating me very well, and thats coming from a hardcore Windows user and administrator of 10+ years ;) After 48 hours, it was set as my default OS on my home PC...

gary@web.ca
June 26th, 2012, 03:28 AM
Hi,

Just found this page. Is anyone still checking in?

Kubuntu/Ubuntu user for at least 6 or 7 years. Other distrobutions before that.

Gary

teejay17
June 26th, 2012, 04:16 PM
Hi,

Just found this page. Is anyone still checking in?

Kubuntu/Ubuntu user for at least 6 or 7 years. Other distrobutions before that.

Gary
Yep. I check in any time someone posts an update. I check my subscription feed daily.
How is Ubuntu treating you? On 12.04 yet?

Enter t'Ibex
June 26th, 2012, 04:24 PM
Hello from Regina. As the name says been at this for a while now. Still fee like a noob

gary@web.ca
July 17th, 2012, 01:32 AM
Yep. I check in any time someone posts an update. I check my subscription feed daily.
How is Ubuntu treating you? On 12.04 yet?

Ubuntu is treating me very well.

I have Ubuntu 11.10 on this desktop and Ubuntu 12.4 on my laptop. Like 12.04. will soon be upgrading the desktop - just waiting for an opportunity. I know it does not require much.

A while back i bought a new HP laptop for my Housing Co-op. Stripped off the Microsoft OS and loaded 11.04. The person it was for did not take the time understand Ubuntu nor did she ask for my help. Hence returned it. One of the members on the Finance Committee was very upset that I took off Microsoft OS. He wanted me to re-install Microsoft. He did not get any support from the other members. Ubuntu still rules on that laptop.

But the point of my little story is that there is still a lot of opposition to Open Source. I don't know how to deal with it. When I forget to convert a file to PDF or Microsoft these savy Microsoft guys demand that I convert to Microsoft documents. They seem so limited or uninformed on Microsoft.

Wish I could convince some.

Oddly they find that Android is quite acceptable.

Thanks for reading this far, Gary

d4m1r
July 17th, 2012, 02:52 PM
But the point of my little story is that there is still a lot of opposition to Open Source. I don't know how to deal with it.

Education ;)

Doesn't sound like a specific opposition to open source but more an ignorance of any new or different things....

mikodo
November 1st, 2012, 11:53 PM
Hi everyone,

I am in Saskatoon SK and am using Ubuntu 10.04 and will be soon going to Xubuntu 12.04. I haven't registered as a member in this LoCo (if one does that), but it is nice to know it is here.

Question:

Would anyone know if if there is any Linux courses in Saskatoon, tailored towards the casual user? It would be nice to go to community college or at U.of S., to take some informal classes on Linux.

I don't know if there is any members of a LoCo in Saskatoon to ask. Seems, when I first started with Ubuntu, there was ?local chapter or whatever it is called, that met at the Senator Hotel pub. :wink:

Anyways, I'll throw this out to y'all and keep looking.

Mike

azend
November 2nd, 2012, 01:56 AM
Just realized I never actually said hi! Hi everyone! I'm from Guelph, ON which is not far from where Darcy is.

I've been using Ubuntu for a while despite not getting around to posting on the forum very often. (So long in fact that they delete your account from inactivity)

mikodo
November 2nd, 2012, 02:01 AM
Hi azend,

Nice to see your here and posting. The Title of this thread makes me think of Hockey. :(

Team Canada

I wonder if we will be seeing any NHL this year ....

VE6EFR
November 2nd, 2012, 02:24 AM
Hello to everyone. Jeff from Edmonton, AB here.Been using Ubuntu on and off since 9.04 but have really been committed since 12.04 LTS.

Stay safe out there, everyone.

Light Knight 22
May 10th, 2013, 03:15 PM
Hello everyone!

A newbie of sorts to Ubuntu, or Linux OS for that matter, I have joined the LoCo. I'm from the Maratimes, so a little ways away from most members.

I'm excited to see if I can help in any of the project on the go!

BobJonkman
May 11th, 2013, 05:35 AM
Hi Light Knight 22! There's an Ubuntu city chapter in Moncton, so you might be closer to the action than you think! Check out the Moncton Ubuntu LUG page at https://wiki.ubuntu.com/CanadianTeam/Moncton or get in touch with Terry Jacob https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Linuxmonkey who set up the Moncton LUG. And pop into the IRC channel #ubuntu-ca and say hello! http://webchat.freenode.net/?channels=ubuntu-ca --Bob.