PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Switch?

Mikhail.Inspired
October 14th, 2010, 05:29 PM
My sister has a hp laptop, and is thinking about switching from Windows 7 to Ubuntu. The only reason for using Windows is that our mom paid for Microsoft Word, which won't work because we don't have the product key. I was wondering about anyone else's perspective, and we are thinking about keeping windows on a separate partition, so I was wondering if you all could tell me how to create a partition so that she can choose between both if she wants to.

TNT1
October 14th, 2010, 05:47 PM
I'd go straight 10.04, no windows partition. Openoffice will handle the word stuff no problem. Follow some basic tutorials here, and your sister wont even know the difference between win7 and ubuntu (which, if you ask me, is high praise for ubuntu from an end users perspective...)

AJH101
October 14th, 2010, 06:54 PM
Just use the CD and it will guide you to set up a new partition! :)

sanderj
October 14th, 2010, 07:09 PM
My sister has a hp laptop, and is thinking about switching from Windows 7 to Ubuntu. The only reason for using Windows is that our mom paid for Microsoft Word, which won't work because we don't have the product key. I was wondering about anyone else's perspective, and we are thinking about keeping windows on a separate partition, so I was wondering if you all could tell me how to create a partition so that she can choose between both if she wants to.

What would be your reason to use Ubuntu?

If you only need a word processor, use OpenOffice ... which runs both on Windows and Linux...

Simian Man
October 14th, 2010, 07:16 PM
I'd go straight 10.04, no windows partition. Openoffice will handle the word stuff no problem. Follow some basic tutorials here, and your sister wont even know the difference between win7 and ubuntu

Except that the software she paid for, and very likely many other things, won't work. But other than that it's exactly the same!

TNT1
October 16th, 2010, 04:36 AM
our mom paid for Microsoft Word, which won't work because we don't have the product key.

Except that the software she paid for, !

Seems silly to pay for something and not be able to use it... At least OO wont cost any more money, and at least they'll be able to use it...