PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Upgrade 10.04 from 32 bit to 64 bit

caradeporra
October 14th, 2010, 04:57 PM
Hello all,

I have searched and scoured for a good tutorial on the easiest way to upgrade from 32 bit to 64 bit. I just got a memory upgrade to 8Gb and I don't want that money to be wasted since my 32 bit install will not see it. If there is a way to get my 32 bit system to see all the RAM I would appreciate that.

Other than that, I would like to know what to back up so I can keep as many settings as possible the same. I am a not an expert on which programs will be different. The main programs I use are as follows:

VirtualBox
KMyMoney
QuantaPlus
GKrell
Screenlets
Tellico
RubyMine

I assume the easiest thing would be to just back up all my files and reinstall these programs. Main question is what folders can I back up? Home folder is a given, but what other folders will remain the same from 32 bit to 64 bit.

If anyone knows of a tutorial out there that goes through all this it would be much appreciated.

Carade

cascade9
October 14th, 2010, 05:04 PM
You can tupgrade from 32bit to 64bit, you would need to reinstall.

Getting a PAE kernel would let you see all the RAM, but 64bit is a better option IMO.

Slim Odds
October 14th, 2010, 05:30 PM
This keeps coming up again and again.

You're wasting your time and everyone else's.

Just backup your data and install the 64 bit version.

caradeporra
October 14th, 2010, 06:48 PM
Cascade, thanks for your input - I agree with you that 64bit is the better option.

Slim, mucho sorry to waste your time. I realize one can't upgrade directly to 64 bit. I understand that in order to upgrade one needs to format and install 64 bit. My main question, and I should have made this clearer, is what to back up. I mean, it isn't the same as a complete backup/restore would be since it will be 64 bit kernels and files. What files can be backed up?

Mainly, is there a way to back up RubyMine or do I simply need to reinstall and reconfigure it entirely. What about VirtualBox...will the VBoxManage clonehd backup/restore method work to 64 bit? Or will those all need to be reconfigured from scratch as well. What about system settings, all from scratch also?

Thank you!

oldos2er
October 14th, 2010, 07:58 PM
If you have /home on a separate partition from /, opt not to format /home when you install 64-bit. If not, you'd want to save all the hidden files and folders and in your /home which contain program settings, etc.

Slim Odds
October 14th, 2010, 08:18 PM
Cascade, thanks for your input - I agree with you that 64bit is the better option.

Slim, mucho sorry to waste your time. I realize one can't upgrade directly to 64 bit. I understand that in order to upgrade one needs to format and install 64 bit. My main question, and I should have made this clearer, is what to back up. I mean, it isn't the same as a complete backup/restore would be since it will be 64 bit kernels and files. What files can be backed up?

Mainly, is there a way to back up RubyMine or do I simply need to reinstall and reconfigure it entirely. What about VirtualBox...will the VBoxManage clonehd backup/restore method work to 64 bit? Or will those all need to be reconfigured from scratch as well. What about system settings, all from scratch also?

Thank you!

Sorry, I didn't mean to get on your case. But this "upgrade from 32 to 64" is usually someone wanting a magic bullet so they don't actually have to install the 64 bit from scratch.

Indeed, your home folder is most important. There may also be some configuration files in /etc/ that you want to preserve.

Stuff like special network settings, ssh config, etc. are in that tree.

caradeporra
October 14th, 2010, 08:32 PM
Thanks oldos and slim, that's helpful.

Slim, I understand - that is why I am trying to get the real answers. I tried to find a tutorial that talks about what all to back up but haven't found any! I do have network settings I would like to keep. I have my entire /home folder backed up in a tar file. Any ideas on what else can be backed up. All of the backup/restore tutorials I have found are wrapped around simple backups and restores, not for upgrades - and especially for upgrades to 64 bit.