PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] what router to buy

beew
October 14th, 2010, 04:29 PM
Hi,

It seems like my house' router is dead. We need to get a new one, I am worrying about compatibility issue with Ubuntu. Is there any brand you would recommend or recommend to avoid? We are current having a Dlink router but the model is no longer supported, I am planning to get a newer Dlink model, is there any known issue with Linux?

Thanks

migs73
October 14th, 2010, 04:32 PM
AFAIK all routers use a HTML interface for setting up and are blind to your OS.
Also a lot of routers actually run on linux anyway!!

Tykin
October 14th, 2010, 04:34 PM
I have a linksys and that works pretty well. One strange bug seems to be anytime a windows 7 computer logs on to the network, no other computers can connect. So my ubuntu netbook can't be on after my girlfriend's w7 laptop gets on. No idea why this is the case. Changed the Mac address filtering, the encryption type, nothing seemed to help. I always need to reset the router once she leaves

So avoid linksys, I guess.

Tykin
October 14th, 2010, 04:36 PM
Oo, I had a Dlink router and I absolutely hated it. I would need to reset the router about once a day.

Maybe I just have bad luck with routers

migs73
October 14th, 2010, 04:36 PM
I have a linksys and that works pretty well. One strange bug seems to be anytime a windows 7 computer logs on to the network, no other computers can connect. So my ubuntu netbook can't be on after my girlfriend's w7 laptop gets on. No idea why this is the case. Changed the Mac address filtering, the encryption type, nothing seemed to help. I always need to reset the router once she leaves

Or get a new girlfriend, I mean a laptop for her :lol:

CharlesA
October 14th, 2010, 04:47 PM
Haven't had any problems with Linksys or Dlink routers.

Then again, I normally just flash them with DDWRT so.. yeah..

Tykin
October 14th, 2010, 04:54 PM
Or get a new girlfriend, I mean a laptop for her :lol:

You sound a bit like her :P . I actually did have ubuntu installed on her computer for awhile via wubi and she had no issues with my wireless!

oldsoundguy
October 14th, 2010, 05:00 PM
I have been quite happy with D-Link.. especially the support in the US.
But, I am not running N, but Super G with a DL-624. Since it was set up using my browser, no OS issues at all. (and I use an access point on top of the router .. again set up using a browser.)

themusicalduck
October 14th, 2010, 05:04 PM
I'm using a Belkin at the moment.

It just about works, but occasionally drops the wireless connection, crashes at least 5-10 times a day (usually when you try to download a file over a few MBs) and sometimes the internet slows down to a crawl (not sure if this is the router or my ISP though).

So I'd advise not getting a Belkin.

pricetech
October 14th, 2010, 05:17 PM
There are a few routers I've seen that include a "setup disk" that only runs under windows, but I don't recall seeing one that required the use of the disk.

My opinion on brands to buy is Netgear, Linksys, TrendNet, Allied Tellisyn. My current pick is Trend Net.

I pretty much won't touch anything else.

beew
October 14th, 2010, 05:20 PM

Interesting. Since our router is down we all go to the coffee shop down the street with our laptops to use the internet, it has a linksys router and all of us connect without problem. But then maybe because it is wide open access with no encryption. I will keep your experience in mind. Who knows, maybe MS bribed Linksys, you never know what those guys are capable of (I am joking of course).

I am with the other guys, tell your girlfriend to dump windows 7 or else to dump you. :)

Morbius1
October 14th, 2010, 06:45 PM
My only advice is to make sure that your router has the ability to assign static ip addresses based on the MAC address of the network card.

My antique DLink calls it Static DHCP. Other names include

Static Leases
DHCP Address Reservation
Reserved DHCP
Reserved leases
Pre-assigned DHCP

When all else fails with Samba or CUPS in a network, static ip addresses are the answer. You can give yourself one in the OS but it's far easier to get the router to do it. And once done it won't matter what OS you install on that box.

I even had mine assign a static ip address on an iPad just because I could. :wink:

empty_spaces
October 14th, 2010, 07:52 PM
I'm currently awaiting delivery of an ASUS RT-N13U wireless-N router.
I went for it because it supports DD-WRT and is currently on sale at Mwave ($24 after rebate).

http://www.mwave.com/mwave/skusearch_v3.asp?scriteria=AA97305&pagetitle=ASUS%20RT-N13U%20Wireless%20router%20-%20EN,%20Fast%20EN,%20IEEE%20802.11

I've had very good experiences with ASUS products (Motherboards, graphics cards, lcd monitors, etc).

rcayea
October 14th, 2010, 08:06 PM
I have an Linksys E2000 and it works great. Under Ubuntu I couldn't run the setup disk. I didn't want to use WINE. Anyway, I actually had some great help from the Linksys support live chat people to help me manually set up my router.