PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] My issues with 10.10

flyver
October 14th, 2010, 03:51 PM
On my Sony computer, Plymouth doesn't work during boot, and I also had this problem with 10.04...

The "tray" icons on the panel sometimes look weird after boot. This still happens with 10.10...

But the new problem I have with 10.10 (64-bit) is that there is some kind of problem with Java and/or Flash. I've tried Adobe's offering, I've tried Icedtea, it seems I have tried all combinations but when a web page with Java/Flash opens, my computer freezes (sometimes I can move the cursor but can't actually click anything).

I am going to reinstall 10.10 64-bit and see if something gets better, but does anyone have any good advice on what to do with Flash and Java?

I have 4 GB of RAM and I think it would be better for me to stick with 64-bit. Would performance be worse with the 32-bit version?

Thank you!

Tykin
October 14th, 2010, 04:45 PM
Most programs in Linux (and windows/Mac for that matter) aren't optimized for 64bit. Plus, ubuntu will still pick up all your RAM. You should definitely give the 32-bit version a try. Overall, it's much better supported.

I actually run the 32bit version on my AMD Phenom II X4 and I have no issues

migs73
October 14th, 2010, 04:48 PM
If you install the 32 bit version the kernel should automatically change to the PAE kernel, which will allow your system to utilise your 4GB RAM, even if the software you'll use will only be able to address about 3GB at a time.

neotasic1
October 14th, 2010, 04:49 PM
Do you have proprietary video drivers installed? Do you have desktop effects enabled. I have found on some machines using the wrong video driver can cause problems, also compiz on some machines caused problems with flash presentations.

beew
October 14th, 2010, 05:13 PM
sorry, wrong thread

tgm4883
October 14th, 2010, 05:23 PM
I just felt the need to chime in and say that the 64-bit version of 10.10 works for me

x C0MMAND0 x
October 14th, 2010, 05:34 PM
Completely off topic, but Tykin, nice Avatar!

flyver
October 14th, 2010, 08:13 PM
Thanks for the replies.

I think I might skip reinstalling the 64-bit version and go straight for the 32.

Too bad about these problems, I would otherwise really love Ubuntu. I was assuming these tiny (but annoying) problems would disappear with the arrival of 10.10. One other problem I have is that I have to reboot after "suspend" to get my wireless working. Grr.

flyver
October 17th, 2010, 06:50 PM
Fixed my problem with the cursor (actually, the left-click) not working. Was due to my wireless Microsoft keyboard and the shortcut buttons, especially when being used when a video was playing. The fix is here (https://bugs.launchpad.net/udev/+bug/637208/comments/40).

lazyworkhorse
October 17th, 2010, 06:58 PM
Flash has a history of problems with 64-bit. Unless you have software that needs 64bit (like cinelerra, for example) stick to 32-bit.

mister_playboy
October 17th, 2010, 06:58 PM
On my Sony computer, Plymouth doesn't work during boot, and I also had this problem with 10.04...

The workaround is to create a file named splash containing the line FRAMEBUFFER=y and put in the /etc/initramfs-tools/conf.d folder. Then run:
update-initramfs -u I believe this makes your boot a bit slower but it should get plymouth displaying rather than a bunch of text.