PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Install in QEMU stalls at "Ready when you are..." after copying files

samjetski
October 14th, 2010, 09:28 AM
So my install stalls at the following screen:
http://wwww.ubuntuforums.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=172277&stc=1&d=1287044504

This is running the release image "ubuntu-10.10-dvd-amd64.iso" which passed the md5sum check. I started the VM with the following command (generated by Qemulator). This command gives me no trouble running Ubuntu 10.04

qemu-system-x86_64 -M pc -hda /myfiles/samjdevel/vms/ubuntu-maverick10.10-desktopx64-test.qcow2 -m 512 -cdrom /myfiles/refdata/distimgs/ubuntu-10.10-dvd-amd64.iso -net nic,vlan=0 -net user,vlan=0,hostname=ubuntuemu-maverick -boot d

Also, the qcow2 image being used must be working fine, since it stalls after it completes copying files, and when I tried again it detected the partitions from last time.

Also, it never asked me to create a username...

Any ideas?

HUGSaLOT
October 18th, 2010, 05:24 AM
I'm getting a very similar message but I get a further along in the install before I get that "ready when you are..." message

I am at my wits end trying to do a clean install of Ubuntu 10.10 (x64) on my AMD x2 64 PC. I’ve tried two different sources to download of the ISO, burned two different install CDs, and even swapped out and changed the drive cable on my DVD drive, AND used a different DVD drives to boot the CD from, and it always stops at the same place.
I also tried to make a boot USB drive on an old 2gb USB flash drive (via windows 7), but the crappy software used to make it was very SLOW and eventually just errored for some unknown reason while it was trying to create it.

It stops on the “Who Are you…” screen where I need to type in login name, password, and a name for the PC. I know it’s still copying files onto to the hard drive, but it eventually says “Ready when you are….” and it gives me no option to click forward because it's grayed out.

Clicking on the arrow next to “Ready when you are…” just doesn’t tell me anything. Even the “skip” button that appears is grayed out. I don’t see any errors when I scroll up this little tiny console window. I get what looks like a command prompt, but nothing I type does anything, not even an error message, nor help works. Why won’t it let me click the “forward” button to finish the install?

I can click the "back" button and redo everything. The installer isn't locked up nor frozen. It just WILL NOT LET ME finish the install.

Is it bitching at me because it thinks my password is “weak?” Even if i change it to something stronger, the “forward” buttons still remains grayed out. Keeping the password fields blank dosen’t change anything either. WHAT AM I DOING WRONG? I used 10.04 just fine in the past! I guess I’ll have to install THAT and then see if I can upgrade to 10.10 online or something.

Rig I’m running:
AMD Athlon x2 +4800 939 2.5ghz Toledo
Abit AN8 Ultra nForce4 socket 939
onboard sound
2x A-Data Technology DDR PC3200 1gb (2gb total dual channel)
nvidia 6800 GS 256m PCIe
WD5000AAVS 500gb Green
Lite-On LDW-4515 DVD+-RW single layer PATA
Antec SL300S 300w
Antec Lan party case

Danmarale
October 18th, 2010, 05:46 AM
Same here. A little bit frustrating. I'm trying to get my feet wet with Ubuntu using this old computer. Dell Dimension 2400. The installation doesn't allow me to go beyond this point because the button "Forward" never gets enabled even when a strong matching password is in place.

Please, help!!!
file:///tmp/moz-screenshot.png

HUGSaLOT
October 18th, 2010, 06:01 AM
Danmarale (http://ubuntuforums.org/member.php?u=1169560) that's exactly what my screen looks like. The progress bar seems to be about 80% and yet it just sits there waiting for YOU to do something but there IS nothing to do.

HUGSaLOT
October 18th, 2010, 07:52 AM
So my only work-around is to install 10.04.1 LTS, which installed perfectly fine, ran some upgrades, and then did the 10.10 update.

This upgrade took over an hour and a half to do. Jezz if the CD install worked it would have taken like 20 mins at the most.

Kina disappointing since you'd THINK install issues like this would have been found and fixed during testing...

ahutzelman
October 24th, 2010, 01:09 AM
I had the same problem, so I tried the workaround of installing 10.04 first. I discovered that 10.04 gives you an error message that your username cannot have a CAPITAL letter in it and must be all lower case. I tried to install 10.10 with a new username (all lower case) and the "Forward" button lit up and let me continue.

urinsan3
October 26th, 2010, 01:21 AM
I had the same issue and then I changed my username to all lower case and it worked.thank you whoever suggested that

milton666
October 26th, 2010, 06:53 PM
Ahutzeleman, you are a ****ing genius. Thank you. It is kind of ****** though that there is no error box that pops up to tell you you can't have a capital letter in your user name...

charlestu
November 11th, 2010, 04:17 PM
I had the same problem.... I discovered that 10.04 gives you an error message that your username cannot have a CAPITAL letter in it and must be all lower case. I tried to install 10.10 with a new username (all lower case) and the "Forward" button lit up and let me continue.

Thank you. I had tried changing the username to a couple of varients, but i did not think to try all lowercase. I restored my "weak" password, and i can now move "forward".

toasted09
November 26th, 2010, 08:38 PM
i never thought about looking at the username box and realizing there was no green check mark next to it, i too used all lower case letters and it worked for me, thanks to who ever suggested it, youre a great help on such a super simple error

pointpeninsula
December 3rd, 2010, 01:48 AM
From a total Linux new user,
THANK YOU!

I sat there and watched that ready when you are bit for half an hour, trying a bunch of stuff that of course didn't work, until I switched my username to all lower case.

I hope to get proficient enough to return the favor someday.

Tom

yabu
December 12th, 2010, 06:44 PM
I too sat and watched ready when you are scratching the head for a while
I had lowercase username but changed everything to lowercase, forward button still grey,
I then selected to use a password to login and the forward button became usable,
Trying 10.10 as there seems to be a bug with 10.04 that won't let my nebula electronics digitv cards
scan for channels, just comes up no channels found, fingers crossed for 10:10
Hope this helps someone.

Quackers
December 12th, 2010, 07:00 PM
You cannot start or end the username with capital letter.
You cannot use "special characters" in the username field.
You MUST enter a password and confirm it. An empty password field is not allowed.

The green tick marks tell you that everything is ok.
If there's no green tick mark there's something wrong in that field.

rohit_alone
December 20th, 2010, 09:49 AM
hey,

this problem is only on present windows, no need to restart or reinstall again.
do changes of computer name and username.

because i had also same problem, i had changed usernam and your name. its working fine... :)

pwoh
December 29th, 2010, 04:58 AM
Oh my god, THANK YOU!:KS This little thing had me frustrated for ages!

timgirard
January 2nd, 2011, 03:12 AM
I had the same problem, so I tried the workaround of installing 10.04 first. I discovered that 10.04 gives you an error message that your username cannot have a CAPITAL letter in it and must be all lower case. I tried to install 10.10 with a new username (all lower case) and the "Forward" button lit up and let me continue.
Brilliant! Thanks!!

echeddar
February 6th, 2011, 03:03 PM
Thanks! I was getting ready to run through the install process a third time when I found this thread. I was imagining my username in my $ prompt and thought, "I'd rather it had a capital letter at the start." Oops. Does anyone know if this issue has been submitted for a communication enhancement? A little feedback to the user that the username does not meet the requirements would be helpful...

JRTuttle4
February 25th, 2011, 11:03 AM
Ahutzeleman, you are a ****ing genius. Thank you. It is kind of ****** though that there is no error box that pops up to tell you you can't have a capital letter in your user name...

Yes, Thank You! I feel kinda dumb now . . . My condolences goes out to anyone who completely exited, installed the earlier version, & then upgraded because of this! It couldn't have hurt for someone to put a X or something after it (where the green check eventually appears once a valid username is entered!!

Vanadil
March 1st, 2011, 07:58 PM
Hi guys,

I'm literally just installing my first copy of Ubuntu on Virtual box and had this exact problem. I had heard the community fixes bugs fast here, and if not, helps each other out pretty quickly and it's nice to see that all was true! Thanks to this forum, I found the solution with one google search in about 40 seconds!

Looking forward to playing with Linux and contributing what I can! :)

Thank you!

caiodosanjos
March 17th, 2011, 01:30 AM
Thanks!, after having deleted my operating system before by turning my computer off this was very useful :)

Malleus Zurvan
April 1st, 2011, 05:39 PM
THANK YOU... I've gone through 6 CD ROM's, and switched machines three times trying to get a good CD !

And the whole time all I had to do is enter my user name in LOWER case?

Free is great but sometimes....sheesh

StoppingBy
May 14th, 2011, 02:31 AM
I was having the same problem as all of the others - last installation page stall on installation. I was installing Ubuntu 11.04 just today, May13/11. This is my first exposure with Linux based systems. I had a little bit of a time, but finally figured it out. I had filled out my name and the other blanks in lower case. Checked my password and it was ok. As I sat looking at it and about ready to full my hair, I noticed that I had my first name plus the first letter of my last name. I thought maybe that might be the problem. Since I was already using lower case, I didn't know what else to try. I removed the two extra letters and the Forward button became operable immediately. Thought I might mention this as someone else might have done the same thing. I installed Ubuntu on an Acer Netbook.

StoppingBy