PDA

View Full Version : GNOME Desktop in UNE 10.10

DanteDouglas
October 14th, 2010, 07:46 AM
Okay, so without going into too much detail, let me just say that I absolutely loathe Unity. It's buggy, crashes way too often, and is simply unusable for a useful GUI. Not my point though.

I have an Acer Aspire One with UNE on it. On 10.04 I had the 'bug' of not being able to modify my menus (I say it's a bug but Canonical I believe called that a 'feature') so I used a small reghack found here (http://maketecheasier.com/unlock-gnome-panel-in-ubuntu-netbook-edition-une/2010/04/25) to 'unlock' the panels by making a mock UNE interface in GNOME.

Well that was all fine and dandy. Then I upgraded to Maverick.

The Maverick install deleted the files necessary for the mockup UNE to work correctly, and I don't know how to restore the original Ubuntu-desktop settings.

Is there any way to restore this? I tried sudo apt-get purging Ubuntu-desktop then reinstalling it, but no luck.

tl;dr how do I reverse my registry hack?

kerry_s
October 14th, 2010, 09:00 AM
you should do a clean install of 10.10 desktop. there's so many changes your lucky it still works.

DanteDouglas
October 14th, 2010, 03:26 PM
Really? There's no way to just revert to the original settings of the Desktop environment?