PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] ati card (fglrx driver) with multiple monitors crashes when xinerama enabled

jetpeach
October 14th, 2010, 01:55 AM
One change, using "sudo aticonfig --xinerama=on" causes the xserver to crash when completing the boot. Unlike most cases, I can't identify the cause in my X log file. The xorg.conf works fine when I run "sudo aticonfig --xinerama=off" (of course, one of the monitors sits black in this case though), and my exact xorg.conf file from Lucid (which worked with xinerama and both monitors) also crashes now with Meerkat.

Link to Xorg.0.log
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1229450/Xorg.0.log

Link to xorg.conf
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1229450/xorg.conf

Could it be a KDE problem? Not sure, it's strange because both monitors look good while the pretty KDE boot screen is being shown on the left monitor, and it's not until KDE is finishing booting and about to normally display the desktop that it crashes.

XRandR1.2 problem? I've heard people having trouble with this, so I tried two things:
adding to xorg.conf device section
Option "EnableRandR12" "false"

and
Edit /etc/ati/amdpcsdb
In the section labeled [AMDPCSROOT/SYSTEM/DDX]
EnableRandR12=Sfalse

Neither of these seemed to fix the problem.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks!!!! jetpeach

bjtuna
October 14th, 2010, 04:48 AM
A number of bugs are making their way into Launchpad related to this. I've been tracking this same problem. I have an ATI card, dual monitors, running fglrx driver with xinerama. I can trigger a segfault in X by running certain apps, like VLC, nevernote, and amdcccle while xinerama is enabled. If xinerama is disabled, these apps don't segfault X.

gleu
October 30th, 2010, 01:10 PM
I finally managed to work fglrx in dual screen mode (without kwin effects).

1. Move every xorg.conf.XXX out of the /etc/X11 directory except xorg.conf.failsave
2. Copy xorg.conf.failsave to /etc/X11/xorg.conf
3. Run aticonfig --initial=dual-head
4. Restart X11
5. Enable in amdcccle Xinerama

I am using fglrx drivers from ati (10-10-x86) but I suppose the driver from ubuntu will work too.