PDA

View Full Version : Your style of computing

SoylentSteak
October 14th, 2010, 01:23 AM
I don't really compute for computing's sake (I don't write code, beta test, etc.) Instead, I use my Linux Box to further explore my hobbies. I use Shredder for chess analysis, TuxGuitar and Audacity to compose and edit music, and Firefox for a myriad of things from watching videos to downloading music and software. I've saved myself quite a bit of cash by watching TV shows and movies online as opposed to paying for cable TV.

How about you?

Mike'sHardLinux
October 14th, 2010, 01:27 AM
My style? You could call it the art of computing.....without computing.

:mrgreen:

Sorry. I couldn't resist.

_outlawed_
October 14th, 2010, 01:32 AM
I do my online work on my computer.
I do my TV/movie watching on my computer.
I do most of my gaming on my computer.

I also do World Community Grid computing. :D

98cwitr
October 14th, 2010, 01:38 AM
Most general things besides gaming...let me put it this way...my E6750 and 2GB of RAM are both slight over kill. I just multitask a lot.

juancarlospaco
October 14th, 2010, 01:56 AM
Python hackz, Gimp design, Online Social Chat, Microblog, IRC, and such.

Khakilang
October 14th, 2010, 06:42 AM
Word processing, spreadsheet, image processing, watch movie, listen to songs, games and internet.

NightwishFan
October 14th, 2010, 07:24 AM
I mainly do everything with music. I compose and edit music, and archive my music etc. I do a little gaming with friends, and it works out ok. My laptop is mainly a source of work, entertainment, organization, and communication. I treat it like a personal assistant, it works for and reminds me of stuff. I like to see a computer as a tool and not a toy. The entertainment part is what I do while I wait for LMMS projects rendering and large directories compressing. :)

akoskm
October 14th, 2010, 07:27 AM
Coding, IRC, listening music, social network activities.

danbuter
October 14th, 2010, 08:04 AM
Gaming, word processing, internet forums, and occasionally some programming.

mainerror
October 14th, 2010, 09:42 AM
Developing for Android, learning new stuff and listening to music (occasionally).

Spice Weasel
October 14th, 2010, 10:11 AM
Experimenting.

klemes
October 14th, 2010, 11:19 AM
First of all when I get my hands on a new computer(and that could mean used,second hand or even ancient by modern standards) I twist the hell out of it just for the fun of it but mainly just to make sure I am oozing every bit of performance I can juice out of it.Then when I am reasonably comfortable with the results and only then I concetrate in doing my stuff with it.Mainly browse linux forums,start troubleshooting some more,back to the forums ,some music,Youtube,some more tweaking,sync my iPhone and all my other toys (smartphones,PDA's),Google a lot,occasional social networking some chatting with my daughter mainly and a few online friends and the story goes on and on....:popcorn::guitar:

gintovan
October 14th, 2010, 01:33 PM
I got one word... Internet!

I make my income online.
I do my web-developing.
I do my email thing (basically the only way to get in contact with me). I do my online banking thing.
Then I listen to some music(net radio), while reading the latest tech news and browsing some forums. Watching the few youtube subs I have.
Watch a movie or a anime when all work and emailing is done for the day.
When the need/want is there i do some online shopping.
And then of course I tweak and fix Ubuntu till it breaks.

I'm sure I forgot some things but all in all, I would be incredibly lost without internet, as at least 95% of my computer time is something online.

WRDN
October 14th, 2010, 02:43 PM
VLC + Firefox/Opera/Chrome + Visual Studio (Windows Vista+7) + emacs = :)

pricetech
October 14th, 2010, 04:38 PM
I use mine to commute back and forth to work.

Oh, and to fry taters.

3Miro
October 14th, 2010, 04:54 PM
I use mine for both work and leisure. I do my media in combination of file-browser + lightweight player (thunar + totem or kaffaine), I don't like media managers. I do a lot of internet surfing, like everyone else.

For work, I do real computing. I write programs that solve complex math problems on supercomputers. In general, windows controls over 90% of the computer marker and I work in the field that is controlled over 90% by Linux. I like the irony of it.

BrokenKingpin
October 14th, 2010, 05:53 PM
- Software development (as I am a professional software developer)
- Media Center (movies, TV shows, music, etc.)
- Internet (Chromium to suft, watch videos, etc)
- Gaming
- All sorts of other stuff, as I am a nerd who likes computers

TNT1
October 14th, 2010, 05:56 PM
I mostly use a wireless mouse, and the keyboard. Oh, and the interwebs.

Rodney9
October 14th, 2010, 09:42 PM
Information gathering, Photo editing, Music listening , Personal contact.

Schrute Farms
October 14th, 2010, 10:13 PM
Internet. Everything from reading the news to looking for a job. I'm not real big on video for some reason. I guess because I associate watching stuff with kicking back on the couch in my mind. Plus, I'm usually listening to music while I surf, so I hate to have to pause the music. I'm not anti-video, or anything like that, it's just something I don't do often. I'm also not into FaceBook either. I'm old fashioned; if I really care about you, I'll email or call you. Plus, my life is boring, so I don't have much to update. If you want to see pics of me & my kids, I'll send you my flickr site address. I'm also real big into researching my ancestry.

Music. Downloading new music/ripping cds are done on this computer. I will also record old cassettes/vinyl so I can listen to them conveniently on the computer, or on my mp3 player in the car.

Gaming. I don't game as much as I used to, I guess I'm getting old. :( But I do play Madden '07 and MVP baseball '05 quite often. Unfortunately, I have to boot into Windows for that. The newest console I have is the Wii. I have Madden '09 & '10 for it, but I never play them. I guess I like using actual buttons on a controller, instead of waving my arms around like an idiot.

Pictures. I've had a digital cam since Xmas '99, so all of my family pictures are digital. Even though I have an old printer, it still does a decent job of printing pics, when I need them. Like I mentioned before, I'll put a few up on Flickr.

I'll still do what I call 'geeking out', where I'll find a program & download it, just to see what it'll do, and if it's useful. Like I'm messing with VirtualBox right now. And I'll try compiling programs occasionally, just to see if I can. I guess I consider making backups of important files part of geeking out too.

beercz
October 14th, 2010, 11:03 PM
Work (http://lidd.net) mostly