PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Help with Ubuntu lite

HiddenLynx
October 14th, 2010, 12:28 AM
Hello, I have recently installed Ubuntu lite also known as U-Lite. I am very new to Linux but have wanted to use Ubuntu for a long time, However my PC is on the slow side so I have chosen U-Lite before I start to build a new computer. I plan to use the latest realease of Ubuntu.

U-Lite is all instaled, Graphics diver already done. There is a few things I need help with. How can i get Wine to work? Is it even possible to use Wine in U-lite.
In Synaptic Packaging Manager under the search option 'Wine', Wine and WineDev comes up, The version is '1..0.0-Ubuntu4'. Was unsure which to download so I dowloaded both. Now this may sound noobish but I cannot find the download. I have searched in Run nothing seems to work. Its also knowhere to be seen in 'PCMan File Manger' either.

Thanks in adavance. Also I will post if I come up againts any more problems.

mikewhatever
October 14th, 2010, 12:50 AM
Synaptic does both downloading and installing. If, for some reason, you need the downloaded packages, they are in /var/cache/apt/archives. Dev or -dev usually stands for 'development'. You probably don't need the dev related packages.
Wine is a compatibility layer for Windows programs. Is it supposed to be seen?
Here is a nice walkthrough -> http://psychocats.net/ubuntu/wine.