PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] how to install desktop theme from a ZIP file ?

jinseven
October 13th, 2010, 11:45 PM
Hey guys, found a theme i like for the desktop- (http://nale12.deviantart.com/art/Silent-Night-II-144768753) - I proceeded to download, opened the download and saw this (attached photo of desktop) - 172225-- I've been researching what to do and come across directions like "EXTRACT" & words like "7ZIP" (i do have installed) ETC.ETC. but have YET to take the next step beyond the download because i don't comprehend. ive committed at least twenty hours to locating a solution, but i now conceed. would someone please help? Thank you in advance.

cgroza
October 13th, 2010, 11:49 PM
Same here, I want to install Ambiance Thin and it is in a zip file. The tool that comes with Ubuntu says that is not a theme archive.

Spice Weasel
October 13th, 2010, 11:53 PM
Open it with the Archive Manager, then click on the button labelled as "Extract".

jinseven
October 13th, 2010, 11:58 PM
open archive manager and hit extract? does that exxtract every file automatically?

jinseven
October 14th, 2010, 12:06 AM
i opened archive and hit extract. it states it has been extracted. what would be the next step?

jinseven
October 14th, 2010, 12:11 AM
i opened my home folder and see a box of the extracted files...

3rdalbum
October 14th, 2010, 01:24 AM
Follow the instructions that came with it? Usually you drag a .tar.gz file onto the Appearance window.

jinseven
October 14th, 2010, 01:33 AM
this theme came with no directions - it is a zipfile??

SoulSmasher
October 14th, 2010, 02:03 AM
firstly thanks for letting me know about this theme, awesome!

First of all, click on this link:
http://dbgthekafu.deviantart.com/art/black-white-2-Vista-73277142
download the iconset,
right click -> extract here
right click on desktop -> change desktop background
go to themes tab, click install
go to the folder where you extracted. there is a readme file and and a tar.gz file, select the tar.gz file

Now go to this url:
http://dbgthekafu.deviantart.com/art/black-white-2-Gloss-73274930
Same procedure..

Now click on what you downloaded,
right click -> extract here

there are 2 tar.gz files and some emerald files

If you want to install the themes over emerald theme manager, first you must install emerald from application center.
then go to system->preferences->emerald theme manager
Click install and select emerald themes.
They won't be shown at first.
Run this on terminal:

emerald --replace
You'll see shiny new look

OR you should install metacity theme (which on this case i'd prefer)
To do that:
Right click on desktop -> change desktop background
go to themes tab, click install, and selct 2 tar.gz files which were in arcihve next to .emerald files

Enjoy!

3rdalbum
October 14th, 2010, 02:06 AM
Finally got home and took a look inside the file.

When you've extracted the Zip file you should see "Silent Night II light.tar.gz" and "Silent Night II dark.tar.gz". Drag the dark one onto the Appearance window. You might also need to click the "Customise" button and choose each theme element.