PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] LiveCD/Install blank screen on new Dell

sricks3
October 13th, 2010, 11:34 PM
Hi,

I just bought a new Dell Latitude E6510. When I boot from the Ubuntu 10.10 64bit disk (I've checked the disk for errors already), the initial, purple splash screen comes up, but then the screen just goes blank and stays that way. I never even see a grub screen.

I tried Linux Mint 9 with both the 64 bit DVD and the 32 bit CD. Both Mint disks bring up a grub boot screen, but then the screen goes blank just like Ubuntu 10.10. I can hear Mint's "login" sound, but nothing shows up on the screen.

Does anyone have any idea what the problem might be or how I might go about fixing it?

Thanks.

mörgæs
October 14th, 2010, 10:29 AM
Hi, have you tried booting from a USB stick created with Unetbootin?

garvinrick4
October 14th, 2010, 11:23 AM
Dell has its own proprietary drivers and Ubuntu forums does have a Dell support category. I would post there or maybe one of mods will see this and move it for you. I would lay a dollar to a donut it is a driver problem and someone in dell forum will have had the same problem. Be patient. Double posting is not received well in these Forums so maybe a mod will see this.
Just looked and it is Dell Ubuntu Support you can jump their on bottom right of page. Start looking thru the threads maybe you will get lucky.

MaxTesla
October 14th, 2010, 02:12 PM
Do you get the purple screen with a man at the bottom if so press f6 and then press f6 again and select noapic then press try ubuntu without installing