PDA

View Full Version : KDE4 getting slower over time

cguy
October 13th, 2010, 11:07 PM
It's the n-th time I'm experiencing this, with various versions of KDE4.

After long time usage (more than 6 months), KDE is significantly slower than at its beginnings.
I used to delete the ~/.kde folder in order to fix the issue, but now it's so heavily customized I'm really reluctant to take the same course.

Is my computer weird and it's the only one in the whole world which has this problem?

Dustin2128
October 13th, 2010, 11:50 PM
yes, you are unique :)

jcolyn
October 14th, 2010, 12:10 AM
Is my computer weird and it's the only one in the whole world which has this problem?

Is it shy about giving out computer specs???

inobe
October 14th, 2010, 12:21 AM
Is it shy about giving out computer specs???

i like that idea

cguy
October 14th, 2010, 08:59 PM
proc: AMD Athlon 64 3000+ @1.8GHz
mobo: NForce 4
mems: 2GB in dual channel
video: Nvidia 7100GS
hdds: 2 x 500GB top end Samsungs (can't recall the exact models)

I wouldn't place the blame on the configuration, since everything was just fine some time ago.

earthpigg
October 14th, 2010, 09:04 PM
are you certain it is a gradual slowing?

and not, instead, a suddenly salient slowing down that happens after you adjusted some particular setting on your nth time, and your n-1th time, and your n-2nd time, etc?

perspectoff
October 14th, 2010, 09:10 PM
My dad used to complain about the same thing. Then I noticed he was just typing more slowly as he aged.

inobe
October 14th, 2010, 09:18 PM
i'm guessing it's a heat issue or the cpu has been oc'ed in the past and is beat.

given that it's old hardware i will assume that because i had systems.

if it's a software issue what version of kubuntu do you have ?

i have kde 4.5.1, 16,000 bug fixes from 4.4 !

lerrup
October 14th, 2010, 10:26 PM
Mine has the same problem occassionally - have you done lots of upgrades as that is what did mine in.

It's either that or strigi is indexing its own index...

cguy
October 14th, 2010, 11:54 PM
@earthpigg: Could be, but I can't figure that out.

@inobe: the cpu is still going strong. The temps are a bit high, indeed, (50-60ish under load) but KDE (4.5 btw) exhibits the same behavior from startup till shutdown. (so even before the temps climb too high)

Mine has the same problem occassionally - have you done lots of upgrades as that is what did mine in.
Yes. I upgraded whenever there was something to be upgraded. What did you do to fix it? Anything?

It's either that or strigi is indexing its own index...
Strigi is off