View Full Version : Do you remeber 5 DOS commands answer EPIC

October 13th, 2010, 10:41 PM
Answer was :
I was sat in the dining room, summer's day, sun coming through the blinds, having to try and get rid of the stupid virus, again

October 13th, 2010, 10:44 PM
not sure what your asking, but yeah, I remember 5 dos commands

October 13th, 2010, 10:47 PM
This looks more like either the beginnings of a game or some nostalgic reflection than a testimonial.

Moved to "Community Cafe"

October 13th, 2010, 10:57 PM
Soz this got in wrong section.
but it is also a testimonial.
Only thing the person could remember from Microsoft was viruses.
and not a single command in the CLI

October 13th, 2010, 11:05 PM
I remember playing chess.exe on a black and yellows screen . . . it was 3D in black and yellow . . . I thought I was in the future . . . . :)

October 13th, 2010, 11:07 PM
Soz? Wrong capitalization and punctuation? So Ubuntu Forums are Facebook now?

October 13th, 2010, 11:33 PM
punctuation capitaliaztion=WTF?
i tought i was in ubuntu forums not english grammar forums.
i make sure to take a dictinary and gogole spellcheck next time.:popcorn:
shame on you hhh

October 13th, 2010, 11:51 PM
Incorrect grammar, punctuation, spelling ,etc. just shows a lack of maturity. You're honestly screwing yourself with that one.

I never actually used DOS. My first computer had Win98 on it.

October 14th, 2010, 12:14 AM
I had only read the title of the thread, and realized I can still remember about 30 DOS commands from the DOS 1.0 to 3.1 days.

Scary what garbage your mind holds on to. :eek:

After reading the OP's post, I have no clue what that was about. :)

Spice Weasel
October 14th, 2010, 01:06 AM
punctuation capitalization=WTF?
i thought i was in ubuntu forums not English grammar forums.
i make sure to take a dictionary and Google spell check next time.:popcorn:
shame on you hhh

A spell check is built in to Firefox, which is included with Ubuntu as well as most other GNU/Linux distributions.

October 14th, 2010, 01:12 AM
Friendly reminders from the forum code of conduct (http://ubuntuforums.org/index.php?page=policy):

Write your posts in English unless you are participating in a Loco Forum, where you are permitted to use another language if it is in common use in that Loco Forum and understood by the Loco Forum staff. We have many users from many different countries that visit here and English is the common language of these forums.

Refrain from using "leet" speak or excessive or unclear slang.

Do not shorten your words to acronyms or abbreviations or use URL-shortening services, as is often done when texting or in a Twitter-style update. It is very difficult to read and understand and you are not limited to a small number of characters.

October 14th, 2010, 06:18 AM
I still remember a couple of DOS command. fdisk for partitioning hard disk, format c:\ for formating the hard disk than I remember I had a Linux CD. End of story.

October 14th, 2010, 06:26 AM
ok, ok forgetting op's weirdness, i can remember, mostly from my mother's amber toshiba 'portable'

1. chkdsk (a favourite of mine due to the impressive looking output. my mother had well checked disks!)
2. cd
3. ls^Wdir
4. i think there was a park or a halt or something
5. format c: (actually, i remember that one from school)

Vishal Agarwal
October 14th, 2010, 06:51 AM
Dir /a /s /b
mkdir (also as md)
chdir ( also as cd)
xcopy ( one most useful copy command)
fidsk ( disk partaion utility)

and the 'for' command, one of the most useful command

In Ms windows still some of the tasks can be done very easily in CLI.

October 14th, 2010, 07:12 AM
Yes, there was a park command, it was used to position the head of the harddrive away from the disc. This was done to prevent accidental damage during transport. Besides that one, who can forget the best editor ever in DOS, copycon. :-) Not really editor, but quick as h... for making small batch files.

October 14th, 2010, 07:43 AM

That's it.

October 14th, 2010, 09:49 AM
Forget remembering 5 dos commands. I have to learn some Dos commands because MS brought out server core, which is windows server 2008 with no gui.

October 14th, 2010, 12:40 PM
All I remember..

- dir
- mkdir
- chkdisk

Verrry basic commands.

It's surprising that when I used Windows I never used commands. In Linux, I do not go a day without using the terminal; same with OS X.

October 14th, 2010, 12:44 PM
Del *.* - Oh the power of "wildcards"

I once cleared out a full hard drive with something similar !! :P

October 14th, 2010, 01:13 PM
Never used any DOS command except format when installing Win98. :D

October 14th, 2010, 01:29 PM
Yeah, easy:

Seeing as DOS and Unix share quite a few commands it's not really that hard to think of 5.

Oh, and just remembered dblspace, I messed up my parents PC with that command, oops. Then again, things like chkdsk and dblspace, are these commands, programs or both?

October 14th, 2010, 01:35 PM
Answer was :
I was sat in the dining room, summer's day, sun coming through the blinds, having to try and get rid of the stupid virus, again

**golf clap**

October 14th, 2010, 01:47 PM
Answer was :

I tried all 5 of those commands and none of them worked. :confused:

October 14th, 2010, 08:36 PM
subst a: c:/fake_a was a personal favorite
type came in handy a few times
undelete did also

everything else was already mentioned

October 14th, 2010, 08:42 PM
I still use them when troubleshooting and scripting. CMD files work similar to bat files, same commands and principals of calling externals work.

Off the top of my head (Not all are built into command.com)

debug - Hex editing
echo - Good for screen output or file appending
copy - When no text editor is around you can rely on good ol copy con for text file creation
mode - Port controls. Still use this for checking serial ports
dosshell - I remember my teacher calling this a better shell than Windows ;)
attrib - File properties

October 14th, 2010, 09:40 PM
an all time favourite

... but I got to warn you... If your computer is so messed up that you can't even get into safe mode... this probably won't work. Worth a shot though.
Also try:
scanreg /restore
From the a:\> prompt and pick a date from the list that you know you booted correctly.
Good luck.
and Goodbye