PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ubuntu-Windows File Sharing via Webbrowser

flugelhornchris
October 13th, 2010, 08:07 PM
I need to set up my Ubuntu laptop as a file server so I can access those laptop files from my WinXP work computer. The trick is I can't install anything on my work computer so I'd need to download them using my web browser or some webgui (I'm limited to IE8 if it makes a difference). I only want to download from my work computer, not upload. I need these files available only to me and not the general public, so passwording/file protection is necessary.

I also have some other computers at home where it would be convenient to do some file sharing also, but if I need to I'll use Samba since I can install stuff on those or just use a flash drive like I've done to this point (this isn't as important as my work computer).

The simpler on the WinXP side, the better.
Any help is appreciated.

Laptop: Ubuntu 10.04
Work PC: Windows XP SP3

Locke_99GS
October 13th, 2010, 08:37 PM
Install apache, add the webdav module, and configure it to dump you wherever.

flugelhornchris
October 24th, 2010, 03:11 PM
What???
I see so many apache results in the software center and I don't know which webdav to install...
Also, once I do install these two, how do I configure it to "dump wherever"? What does that even mean?

ieee488
October 24th, 2010, 03:57 PM
http://www.wikihow.com/Set-up-an-FTP-Server-in-Ubuntu-Linux

Locke_99GS
October 24th, 2010, 04:13 PM
http://www.howtoforge.com/how-to-set-up-webdav-with-apache2-on-ubuntu-9.04

baldy4eva
October 24th, 2010, 04:16 PM
I need to set up my Ubuntu laptop as a file server so I can access those laptop files from my WinXP work computer. The trick is I can't install anything on my work computer so I'd need to download them using my web browser or some webgui (I'm limited to IE8 if it makes a difference). I only want to download from my work computer, not upload. I need these files available only to me and not the general public, so passwording/file protection is necessary.

I also have some other computers at home where it would be convenient to do some file sharing also, but if I need to I'll use Samba since I can install stuff on those or just use a flash drive like I've done to this point (this isn't as important as my work computer).

The simpler on the WinXP side, the better.
Any help is appreciated.

Laptop: Ubuntu 10.04
Work PC: Windows XP SP3

Found a handy little app which will let you do what you need to do. You can either connect via the app or from a web browser... Connects to Linux, Windows, Mac and iPhone. PM me and I send you the page link (don't want to post an ad)