PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] New to laptops - Desktop or Netbook version?

jarmore
October 13th, 2010, 07:43 PM
Been using Ubuntu on my desktop for 5 years or more. Never had a laptop before ... which I do now. Its a few years old ... a Toshiba P200-RT2 with 4Gb RAM.

I presume I should d/l the Netbook 10.10 version ... but really not sure. Maybe I can just load the 10.10 Desktop version on it?

Which should I get please?

sqlyee
October 13th, 2010, 07:54 PM
This is just my opinion. I've been using Ubuntu desktop on a laptop since 6.06. It just gets better with every release. I am also using it on a Dell Mini 9 netbook. I just installed 10.10 netbook remix on the Dell Mini and I don't like it. My other computers are Macs and I find the netbook interface to be confusing, unintuitive, and very frustrating to navigate. I love the simplicity and ease of use of the regular gnome desktop. I am dumping the netbook interface and reinstalling the desktop version onto the netbook tonight.

jarmore
October 13th, 2010, 08:03 PM
Thats all I need to know ... the Desktop version works on a Laptop.

Thanks! :)

Megaptera
October 13th, 2010, 08:54 PM
Very happy using 10.04 desktop version on my Dell laptop.

Gremlyn1
October 13th, 2010, 09:03 PM
I have been running Ubuntu Desktop version on my 6-year old HP since 9.04 and it's been great. The only issue I ran in to was that closing the lid didn't seem to do anything, but 10.04 on my new HP laptop that I bought on Monday works fine with that... now if only we could get the ClickPad drivers working better soon :)