PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Installed package lists from a hard disk I can't boot into

samuel.faith
October 13th, 2010, 07:13 PM
Hi folks,

Recently my Dell Inspiron 14 died on me and it's out of warranty, so I decided to get a new rig. I ordered a Studio XPS and I just got it today.

The hard disk of my old laptop is still intact, and what I would like to do is migrate the data. I know how to migrate my personal data from Ubuntu, and I am not worried about Windows partition either.

What I am concerned is, now that my old lappy is totally dead, I have no means to boot into that hard drive. I am planning to install 10.10 on new machine and install back all the packages I had in old machine. And the issue here is, I have no idea how I can attain the list of my installed packages if I can't boot into it. I know the dpkg command if I can boot into that hard disk, but now that it's not an option, I am totally clueless.

And I would also like to know if there are any other things I should know about migrating data from one hard disk to another. This is not my first time doing it, but still better be cautious and listen to wisdom of the crowd!

--sfaith

samuel.faith
October 14th, 2010, 07:52 PM
Bump!

Anyone have any idea? :(