PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] alternative language,, what problem?

khalilHajAhmed
October 13th, 2010, 05:22 PM
hello all,,
please help me im from middle east and need Arabic language necessary
when installed ubuntu 10.10 choosed English for environment and arabic for support to speak my family but when talk messenger or may be alone laptop become alternative language alone !!
and i don't know write between two language for example

يddيييييييييddddddddه

please help me :)

ankspo71
October 13th, 2010, 07:33 PM
Hi,
Do you have an Arabic only or English only keybord? If you do, you can make your keyboard Arabic and English.

First you will need to go to System > Preferences > Keyboard, then click on the layouts tab. Choose a second language, so you will have both Arabic and English keyboard layouts.

Now after you add the second language, an icon of a keyboard with country names will appear by the gnome clock. You can use this to quickly change keyboard layouts. You can also choose to see a picture of the new keyboard layout so it is easier to see which key to press on the keyboard. This works in Ubuntu 10.10 (maybe in older versions of Ubuntu too, but I am not sure). Hint: For letters and numbers on the right side of each key, hold down the right Alt key then press the letter or number.

Also, you can buy stickers for your keyboard to make typing easier like these: Link to Amazon.com search (http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Doffice-products&field-keywords=arabic+keyboard+stickers&x=0&y=0) You can probably find them at ebay.com too.

Hope these ideas help. :)

ankspo71
October 13th, 2010, 07:49 PM
Hi,
Also, Arabic and English keyboard layouts will work in Ubuntu 10.10's virtual keyboard called "onboard". You can press Alt+F2 and type onboard to start it. Or you can right click on your menu, choose Edit Menus, then enable: Universal Access > Onboard.

Hope this helps.

khalilHajAhmed
October 13th, 2010, 08:20 PM
thanxs my brother :)
i benefit from your words, but my brother i mean may be technical problem with two language
For example:

while write with english lang. suddenly my labtop changes to arabic language and repeat it quickly
for example : when i need to write " hello jon "
become >>> hثممo joى <<<

Sometimes I write with good case and sometimes up case get me when i turn on any application
i dont know where the problem
and hope to help me and Thnx :)

Fintican
October 15th, 2010, 02:23 PM
I have exactely the same problem after update to 10.10. For example when I want to make line in mail by underscores like

sometimes I get
__???__??___???___???__???___??__

where ? is what '_' key is supposted to be in second layout. Log out and log in back again always solved it temporaly.