PDA

View Full Version : [kubuntu] Upgrade to 10.10, get extreme cpu usage (possibly involving firefox)

timefly
October 13th, 2010, 04:11 PM
It appears that something in Firefox triggers extremely high CPU usage after upgrading from 10.04 to 10.10. When booting the older 2.6.32 kernel, the problem goes away.

Symptoms: Even with only a single tab open (Google's mail service) my system begins to "stutter" after a few minutes: The mouse cursor ceases to move smoothly and pulseaudio reports dozens, even hundreds of events suppressed by ratelimit.c (audio begins to skip worse and worse).

Yes, I've heard of complaints against Flash, and I'm not ruling it out, but I'm unaware of Flash being active (or at least visible in the current tab) when I have Firefox running. In any case, the problem manifests reliably with the 2.6.35 kernel but not with 2.6.32.

Setup: My system is an intel i7-920 (64bit, 4 hyperthreaded cores, reported as 8 cpus), nVidia G92 (9800GT) with proprietary drivers, 9GB RAM. It ran 10.04 beautifully. I'm using kubuntu, for what it's worth.