PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Installing a package will remove ubuntu-desktop

Pharod
October 13th, 2010, 03:27 PM
I'm trying to get sound on a couple of games I run on Linux, but both fixes I have found will remove some pulseaudio package and the ubuntu-desktop package.

I don't want to continue installation because I don't know what could happen by doing this (the laptop works fine except for sound on those games).

If I remove the packages, to restore the previous state I would just remove the new ones and install the old ones?

Thanks for your help.

Quackers
October 13th, 2010, 03:32 PM
I wouldn't recommend removing ubuntu-desktop. Things don't go well without it :-)

endotherm
October 13th, 2010, 03:34 PM
well, to set your mind at ease a little, you can always reinstall all the packages under the "ubuntu-desktop" meta package with this line:

sudo apt-get install ubuntu-desktop

removing the metapackage isn;t a huge deal, but it does mess with some update/upgrade operations. never try a dist upgrade for instance on a system like that. you may also miss out on some application upgrades refered to by packages that have themselves been removed.

Pharod
October 13th, 2010, 04:11 PM
Alright thanks. I think I'll play without sound for a while. I just don't get why would that package be removed. These are the two commands I try and what it says:

sudo apt-get install esound
The following packages will be REMOVED:
pulseaudio-esound-compat ubuntu-desktop
The following NEW packages will be installed:
esound

sudo apt-get install libsdl1.2debian-alsa
The following packages will be REMOVED:
libsdl1.2debian-pulseaudio ubuntu-desktop
The following NEW packages will be installed:
libsdl1.2debian-alsa

oldos2er
October 13th, 2010, 04:44 PM
You can remove ubuntu-desktop, if need be; It's just a meta-package that doesn't affect anything. The only time you might need it is when running an upgrade to a new Ubuntu version.

Quackers
October 13th, 2010, 04:55 PM
You can remove ubuntu-desktop, if need be; It's just a meta-package that doesn't affect anything. The only time you might need it is when running an upgrade to a new Ubuntu version.

For my peace of mind, when I mistakenly uninstalled evolution it removed ubuntu-desktop with it. This left my system with no GUI. My way out of this situation was to re-install ubuntu-desktop. This fixed it. So, was the loss of my GUI due to ubuntu-desktop's removal or not? :confused:

Pharod
October 13th, 2010, 04:56 PM
Thanks for the help. :)

endotherm
October 13th, 2010, 07:29 PM
For my peace of mind, when I mistakenly uninstalled evolution it removed ubuntu-desktop with it. This left my system with no GUI. My way out of this situation was to re-install ubuntu-desktop. This fixed it. So, was the loss of my GUI due to ubuntu-desktop's removal or not? :confused:
in older versions of ubuntu, ubuntu-desktop had a "Depends" dependency for evolution, and gnome depended on evolution. in the newer versions, ubuntu-desktop and gnome-desktop "recommend" evolution, but do not "depend" on it.

mcduck
October 13th, 2010, 07:55 PM

More likely you actually removed some Evolution components, which some Gnome components depend on and that's why you were left with no working desktop. ;)

At least gnome-panel has some evolution component on it's dependency list, the clock applet's popup menu shows evolution tasks & calender.

Removing the ubuntu-desktop metapackage is safe, the nly thing is that it should be reinstalled before upgrading to new Ubuntu release.

Quackers
October 13th, 2010, 08:15 PM
Thanks for the info endotherm and mcduck (my long-lost cousin :-) ) that eases my mind.

Rubi1200
October 13th, 2010, 08:52 PM
I can confirm what both endotherm and mcduck have said; it is safe to remove the ubuntu-desktop metapackage (not forgetting to reinstall before an upgrade as pointed out).

In your case Quackers, I think what may have happened is that you removed the evolution-data-server package. And that, as you saw, can wreak havoc!

Quackers
October 13th, 2010, 08:56 PM
I almost certainly removed everything connected with evolution. I'm nothing if not thorough :-)
And it did have dire consequences :-(
Today has been a learning day :-)

oldos2er
October 14th, 2010, 12:19 AM

Without knowing what other packages were involved? I won't hazard a guess. My GUI works just fine without ubuntu-desktop installed.