PDA

View Full Version : The "Tell Them About It" Drive

Jenda
April 13th, 2006, 10:07 AM
Have you ever wondered if the router/modem/keyboard/beamer you are about to buy will work with your Ubuntu? Does it say on the box?
Yes? No?
Do you want to change that?

What the Marketing Team has in mind, is that whenever you buy a piece of hardware and find out it works perfectly on Ubuntu, go to the store you bought it in and TELL THEM ABOUT IT!!!
Alternatively, you can reach out to the manufacturer directly, and we might sketch "Tested on Ubuntu GNU/Linux" stickers later that you could print out and give to the dealerships upon such an occasion.

Derek Djons
April 13th, 2006, 10:24 AM
Well, telling won't just do. In general the people who work in such a store don't get that much people asking for hardware which is compatible with Linux. Even if GNU/Linux users would be telling them about those salesman would forget.

The best way to do is still persuading the manufacturer to test it under GNU/Linux. This way it will be mentioned on the box and perhaps if there are some minor problems under GNU/Linux a driver will be made.

Jenda
April 13th, 2006, 10:32 AM
Well, onvincing them to mark it somehow could work - each of us has to try what's possible in their area, and if you do the testing, they will have less work listening. The salesmen i talk to tell me that he gets that all the time, but doesn't know what to tell the askers.

MenZa
April 13th, 2006, 01:06 PM
I like the sticker idea. Would it be possible for you to print and send those around, somewhat like ShipIt CDs? I'm definitely gonna send an e-mail to the place I tend to buy hardware.

Jenda
April 13th, 2006, 01:12 PM
MenZa, we would love to :)

But, first we need someone to design them
then to print them in bulk...
and then to send them out and pay for the shipping...

Any volunteers?
:-D

Kimm
April 13th, 2006, 01:55 PM
Designing them shouldnt be a problem, we have lots of good artists here at ubuntuforums.org, if you have a color printer and some stickers priting them should be hard eighter (printing 20-30 for one store shouldnt cost that much)

Sending them out can be done by foot.

Jenda
April 13th, 2006, 02:17 PM
Well, if any one feels up to it - we will welcome the effort and include it in the invontory of the MT :)
Please do!

DerekRom
April 13th, 2006, 04:34 PM
When you go into a computer store and they're not interested in Linux. You tell them all the big institutions are changing to Linux. So it's going to be their future business. If you bought something from a store and it works on Linux, tell them about it. My local computer store is very interested that I have my vodafone mobile card working from Linux. I'm going to supply them with the details!

Jenda
April 13th, 2006, 04:53 PM
That's the spirit!!!

stoeptegel
April 13th, 2006, 05:31 PM
I like the idea of stickers, it might not totally work but at least we could try.

I dunno about the license, but maybe these stickers here can inspirative
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=113001

Jenda
April 13th, 2006, 05:52 PM
Thanks, Stoeptegel.
Those are great. If anyone wants to do the Marketing Team a favour, please make similar stickers saynig "Tested with" instead of "Powered by" and preferrably GNU/Linux instead of Linux.
I love anyone who does that under GPL or FDL :)

IYY
April 13th, 2006, 06:23 PM
www.cs.yorku.ca/~cs251010/tested.svg

Jenda
April 13th, 2006, 06:31 PM
It's a deal. I love you, IYY. I'll give that to the MT :)

Derek Djons
April 13th, 2006, 06:37 PM
I believe that marketing strategies work much better when they are being done with the support of manufacturers.

If the marketing team can reach a level of cooperation with manufacturers it won't cost the community any money and at the same time manufacturers can rely on a reliable source within the GNU/Linux community.

How often does it happens when parties are working separate without cooperation projects get forgotten, not interested in anymore or even lack (true) quality information.

So basically, cooperation between GNU/Linux communities and in this case manufacturers will be more promising than trying to add info on products in which way so ever.

Jenda
April 15th, 2006, 09:13 AM
Berek Djons - we have an "Industry Interface" project, but it currently has no members. If you'd like to grab hold of it - feel free. I'm sure we can get you a team if you sketch out a plan.
IYY, do you think you could sketch me a sticker saying "Ubuntu - Linux for Human beings Free download at www.ubuntu.com"? You can use the same graphic. Thanks :)
BTW, I'm already communicating abotu the price and options with a local printer.

BoyOfDestiny
April 15th, 2006, 12:35 PM
I believe that marketing strategies work much better when they are being done with the support of manufacturers.

If the marketing team can reach a level of cooperation with manufacturers it won't cost the community any money and at the same time manufacturers can rely on a reliable source within the GNU/Linux community.

How often does it happens when parties are working separate without cooperation projects get forgotten, not interested in anymore or even lack (true) quality information.

So basically, cooperation between GNU/Linux communities and in this case manufacturers will be more promising than trying to add info on products in which way so ever.

Agreed.

If memory serves, my corsair usb2 stick on the box had windows/osx/linux compatibility listed.
This is the way things should be.
Just putting stickers at certain locations doesn't seem that useful.
Your time may be better spent using Applications -> System Tools -> Ubuntu Device Database. It's likely even if a product is a labeled compatible, there may be some caveats (i.e. I get 3d out of the box on my radeon 9250, but agp is set 1x by default, so I had to manually set it to 8x...)

IYY
April 15th, 2006, 05:39 PM
IYY, do you think you could sketch me a sticker saying "Ubuntu - Linux for Human beings Free download at www.ubuntu.com"?

Sure, but what will you use it for? I need to know because the size (width:height ratio) would differ.

Jenda
April 15th, 2006, 06:03 PM
Hmm, it's to give out to people as a promotion item. As in - hey, what's Ubuntu? It says that on your suitcase and that sort of thing. It's an idea darren.lui got in www.ubuntupeople.com, and we would like to test it out.

I can't even count how many conversations have been started by "what does that yellow wristband mean?"
I've witnessed a strong effect of this type on a stack of shipit CDs on my desk - I gained a very enthusiastic (and attractive ;) ) listener that way, and she might be switching to Ubuntu soon - I'm looking at 06/06/01 or 02 :)
EDIT: ie. the format can be anything that suits you, or you can try different formats, if you have time to give ツ Thanks a bunch.

IYY
April 16th, 2006, 02:01 AM
http://www.cs.yorku.ca/~cs251010/bg.svg

http://www.cs.yorku.ca/~cs251010/simple.svg

http://www.cs.yorku.ca/~cs251010/bw.svg

Jenda
April 16th, 2006, 09:24 AM
Thanks a bunch! I'll do my best to make use of them!