PDA

View Full Version : How Is Ubuntu 10.10 shaping up?

Nightstrike2009
October 13th, 2010, 12:25 PM
I am running Ubuntu 10.04LTS, I am unsure whether or not to Upgrade to 10.10 because in my experience x.10 releases are usually more bug-ridden than x.04 ones, hows your experience of 10.10 so far?

NightwishFan
October 13th, 2010, 12:45 PM
A lot of visual polish. The new 2.6.35 kernel as a lot going for it and it is a big jump from 2.6.32 in lucid. Though I actually do recommend this release, if you have a flaky graphics card you might want to stick to 10.04.

Ichtyandr
October 13th, 2010, 01:01 PM
I find it is really good, exceeded any expectations in fact.
It is very polished and looks great, much better than 10.04 (this includes font, themes, wallpapers which are minor things but when they come together make a good impression).
Newest app versions and very stable

Oxwivi
October 13th, 2010, 01:04 PM
There's already other threads discussing the same topic of the Maverick, you should have checked them out.

I don't have anything against using 10.10, but there are are things I'm quite dissatisfied with. I can't get my Ubuntu One to connect no matter how many times I try. And adding VPN connection requires the restart of the system or the nm-applet for the VPN to show up on the list.

zorglubx
October 13th, 2010, 01:10 PM
I've tried it on a laid off dell D630, and all is running great. Looks well too.
Although it has been a little while since I have used the desktop version (have 7 servers running production though) it seems more polished than last time i tried it.

Great work Ubuntu guys ;)

-z

nlsthzn
October 13th, 2010, 01:19 PM
I am running Ubuntu 10.04LTS, I am unsure whether or not to Upgrade to 10.10 because in my experience x.10 releases are usually more bug-ridden than x.04 ones, hows your experience of 10.10 so far?

Well... both 8.04 and 10.04 were/are LTS releases so that might be one reason... however if memory serves both 9.04 and 9.10 where very well received also... and in all honesty so far 10.10 seems to be getting many more thumbs up than thumbs down (however I want to see how long I can stick to the LTS this time :D)

Nightstrike2009
October 14th, 2010, 02:01 PM
I ve currently converted to 10.10 myself I had problems with 3G modem and update manager waiting for "jockey-backend" to finish, but after connecting and recconecting it downloaded an update to update manager itself and it stopped.

I am shocked an actual 10.10 release that actually stable, you Ubuntu developers are getting even better keep up the good work guys and gals.

PS: 9.10 was a dead os for me it had major problems with 3g modems and you had to use wvdial in terminal and paste parts of its output and answer security info just to get it on the net 9.04, 10.04 & 10.10 do not suffer this problem.

andymorton
October 14th, 2010, 02:04 PM
I haven't got any complaints about it at all. It works flawlessly.

andy

kaldor
October 14th, 2010, 02:20 PM
PS: 9.10 was a dead os for me it had major problems with 3g modems and you had to use wvdial in terminal and paste parts of its output and answer security info just to get it on the net 9.04, 10.04 & 10.10 do not suffer this problem.

lol

Did anything go smoothly with Karmic? I consider it the Windows ME of Canonical.

I've yet to try 10.10 since I'm happy on LMDE right now. I'll probably skip this release.

Lucid stays on my server for the next 3+ years.

Groucho Marxist
October 14th, 2010, 02:56 PM
I've been having weird audio issues (i.e. start up music or log out music will not play) and my compiz wallpaper plugin seems to have died. I do, however, enjoy the addition of accessing Rhythmbox through my panel.

betrunkenaffe
October 14th, 2010, 04:17 PM
lol

Did anything go smoothly with Karmic? I consider it the Windows ME of Canonical.

I've yet to try 10.10 since I'm happy on LMDE right now. I'll probably skip this release.

Lucid stays on my server for the next 3+ years.

Karmic was flawless for me while Jaunty crashed everything if I used firefox after I downloaded all the updates.