PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Need to disable/enable networking each boot

Wlo
October 13th, 2010, 11:55 AM
Hiya.

I have a strange problem with my networking under Ubuntu. When I first log in to Gnome both my network adapters are listed as "disconnected" in the network manager applet. If I right click on the notification icon and disable networking, then wait a few seconds and re enable it, it works fine.

It's happening consistently with Maverick although it seemed only temperamental with Lucid. I did a fresh Maverick install to see if it would help but it hasn't.

It's the onboard network sockets on a Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD7. I have two ports but I only use one, it doesn't seem to matter which I use. It's connected via gigabit ethernet to a Netgear router. It works fine in Windows 7 (dual boot).

It looks as though something's not quite "ready" when gnome first launches. The light on the router for the cable is off at first, and only comes on after a few seconds. It's DHCP. Same thing happened on the live USB stick (just before the isntaller) and disable/reenable made it work.

Thanks for any help.

Wlo.

bobcollard
October 13th, 2010, 03:31 PM
Right click the Network Icon in the panel and choose "Edit Connections" Click the Wireless Tab and Edit your Connection. You may be asked for your password. Make sure that "Connect Automatically" is checked. Then "Apply."

Wlo
October 13th, 2010, 04:57 PM
Right click the Network Icon in the panel and choose "Edit Connections" Click the Wireless Tab and Edit your Connection. You may be asked for your password. Make sure that "Connect Automatically" is checked. Then "Apply."

Hi, thanks for your response. I'm connected via wired ethernet cable, so the "Wireless" tab is empty, but following your steps for the "Wired" tab, both adapters have the "Connect automatically" ticked.

Any other ideas?

bobcollard
October 13th, 2010, 05:13 PM
Hi, thanks for your response. I'm connected via wired ethernet cable, so the "Wireless" tab is empty, but following your steps for the "Wired" tab, both adapters have the "Connect automatically" ticked.

Any other ideas?
Sorry, no. If you don't hear anything from another user, Bump your Thread to bring it back to someone's attention. BTW is your modem on before you startup the computer, or, are they both started at the same time? The modem itself may be disconnecting when you shut it down.

Wlo
October 14th, 2010, 09:34 AM
BTW is your modem on before you startup the computer, or, are they both started at the same time? The modem itself may be disconnecting when you shut it down.

Hi. No the router remains connected to the ADSL line. There's other devices (NAS drive, printer, PS3, laptop) using it fine whether or not Linux is booted.

Cheers.

bobcollard
October 14th, 2010, 01:06 PM
My question is: Is the power on to the router and modem all the time? If you turn it off with the computer, then, it may need to be reset.

Wlo
October 14th, 2010, 01:12 PM
My question is: Is the power on to the router and modem all the time? If you turn it off with the computer, then, it may need to be reset.

The router and ADSL router both remain on, and, as I said, all other devices on my network can continue to use them fine, as can Windows on the same machine.

Wlo
October 18th, 2010, 01:11 PM
Not sure if it's related, but when I do enable my network via disable/enable, it's slow, ethtool reports the speed as 10mb/s when I have a gigabit network, card is the onboard for my Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD7.

Full output of ethtool below. I'm happy to buy a new network card if that may solve it. Any ideas which one would be likely to work out of the box?

Thanks.

--->
:~$ sudo ethtool eth1
Settings for eth1:
Supported ports: [ TP MII ]
Supported link modes: 10baseT/Half 10baseT/Full
100baseT/Half 100baseT/Full
1000baseT/Half 1000baseT/Full
Supports auto-negotiation: Yes
Advertised link modes: 10baseT/Half 10baseT/Full
100baseT/Half 100baseT/Full
1000baseT/Half 1000baseT/Full
Advertised pause frame use: No
Advertised auto-negotiation: Yes
Link partner advertised link modes: 10baseT/Half 10baseT/Full
Link partner advertised pause frame use: No
Link partner advertised auto-negotiation: Yes
Speed: 10Mb/s
Duplex: Full
Port: MII
PHYAD: 0
Transceiver: internal
Auto-negotiation: on
Supports Wake-on: pumbg
Wake-on: g
Current message level: 0x00000033 (51)
Link detected: yes

Wlo
October 21st, 2010, 10:19 AM
Fixed it from the instructions in this thread, http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1480328&page=2 .

Had to disconnect the power completely and wait as apparently network cards sometimes get themselves in a tiz and they retain their power even whilst PC is off.

Cheers.

mister_p_1998
October 21st, 2010, 10:26 AM
I got this when I upgraded my mother board from a 10/100 to a gigabyte onboard network card. I finished up plugging in an old network card. What causes it then? and Wont this happen again?
Steve

Wlo
October 21st, 2010, 10:31 AM
I got this when I upgraded my mother board from a 10/100 to a gigabyte onboard network card. I finished up plugging in an old network card. What causes it then? and Wont this happen again?
Steve

I have no idea really if it'll happen again. I think I first remember it happening after I moved my office around, and had therefore unplugged the machine from the mains. Sounds like the same for you if it happened after you were doing a hardware upgrade. I guess it's just something to watch out for after plugging everything back in again.