PDA

View Full Version : Window roll up feature

fatality_uk
October 13th, 2010, 11:18 AM
I haven't seen this before and discovered this by accident.

Place cursor over window title bar and roll mouse or side scroll section of mousepad. Acts like a blind, up and down. I am sure it's old news to some but I like it. Had a nice vid but can't attach

NightwishFan
October 13th, 2010, 11:26 AM
I think a lot of old unix wm's used that behavior. It is pretty cool now and with compiz has an animation. :)

Spice Weasel
October 13th, 2010, 11:54 AM
Most window managers have this feature. I've never used it much myself though. :P

Oxwivi
October 13th, 2010, 01:00 PM
Hmm...? I don't get it...

ronnielsen1
October 13th, 2010, 01:04 PM
Most window managers have this feature. I've never used it much myself though.
I love it. Quick access to minimized windows.

mainerror
October 13th, 2010, 01:05 PM
Yep thats a nice feature.

Spice Weasel
October 13th, 2010, 01:09 PM
I love it. Quick access to minimized windows.

It's not that I don't find it useful, it's just that there is no key combination I know of to do it in Blackbox. Right clicking on the window bar is required.

ronnielsen1
October 13th, 2010, 01:24 PM
it's just that there is no key combination I know of to do it in Blackbox.
I'm not trying to hijack the thread but is blackboard that much quicker than gnome? I've always been intrigued by openbox but I never stay with it because it seems there's always something I can't configure right.

Spice Weasel
October 13th, 2010, 01:56 PM
I'm not trying to hijack the thread but is blackboard that much quicker than gnome? I've always been intrigued by openbox but I never stay with it because it seems there's always something I can't configure right.

Yes, it is. The difference is about ~100MB memory usage on Ubuntu, but much more on lighter distributions.

By the way, there are graphical configuration tools for Openbox. apt-get install obmenu obconf

NightwishFan
October 13th, 2010, 02:03 PM
It will save quite a bit on a system that needs a few extra mb, though I really cant agree that Ubuntu is much heavier than other distros. Ubuntu and Debian both boot to 200-250mb using Gnome. ;/

Spice Weasel
October 13th, 2010, 02:08 PM
It will save quite a bit on a system that needs a few extra mb, though I really cant agree that Ubuntu is much heavier than other distros. Ubuntu and Debian both boot to 200-250mb using Gnome. ;/

Hm? I'm talking about background processes, not heaviness of GNOME on different distributions. I'm saying that there will be a bigger benefit to using *box on a lighter distro.

NightwishFan
October 13th, 2010, 02:20 PM
apt-get remove some background processes :)

RiceMonster
October 13th, 2010, 02:22 PM
I've never understood the point of this feature when there is minimize.

fatality_uk
October 13th, 2010, 02:48 PM

Great for when the company Chairman walks past my desk. With the quick flixk of a mouse anywhere on the titlebar, Thunderbird is on my screen :)

ubunterooster
October 13th, 2010, 06:33 PM
Speed and conveniency. I like it a lot.

kaldor
October 13th, 2010, 07:19 PM

Likewise.

jawora
November 29th, 2010, 07:23 PM
Does anyone know hot to turn off this roll-up-on-scroll feature? It's driving me crazy when I scroll the window and accidentally move mouse over taskbar. Is it Emerald, Compiz or what?

urukrama
November 29th, 2010, 07:55 PM
It's not that I don't find it useful, it's just that there is no key combination I know of to do it in Blackbox.

In Openbox you can set a key binding to the "ToggleShade" action (http://openbox.org/wiki/Help:Actions#ToggleShade). Blackbox doesn't have something similar?

Spice Weasel
November 29th, 2010, 09:23 PM
In Openbox you can set a key binding to the "ToggleShade" action (http://openbox.org/wiki/Help:Actions#ToggleShade). Blackbox doesn't have something similar?

Not sure, I haven't used Blackbox for almost two months (but still like it.)

You should note that Openbox doesn't contain any Blackbox source code.