PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Wireless Problems in 10.10 (no wired available)

-Morgoth-
October 13th, 2010, 10:32 AM
For reasons unknown to me my wireless seems to be gone. Fresh install of 10.10 64bit on an acer aspire 5740g laptop. I can't find anything saying wireless when I click on the network icon in the notification area and only wired is shown there. I know that connecting it to the wired first usually helps, but I don't have that opportunity :/
No drivers are listed in the restricted drivers list since I've no internet connection. I don't have the exact name on the wireless card, but its a broadcom.

Any solutions to this problem is much appreciated since I really can't do anything without internet.

johnnytm
October 13th, 2010, 01:33 PM
You are going to have to find a way to download the broadcom sta driver. It is not included in Ubuntu because it is a propietary driver. The easiest way would be to find somewhere you can connect to wired connection and use system-->administration-->additional drivers to enable the broadcom sta driver. If you can't do that the only option is to find a way to download the driver from broadcom's site copy it to a flash drive or something and build/install the package on your Ubuntu machine.

-Morgoth-
October 13th, 2010, 10:07 PM
I kinda did that but nothing really happened when I ran the .tar.gz file

kkobashi
October 13th, 2010, 10:34 PM
Same problem going on here. Using Linksys WMP300N on 64-bit Ubuntu 10.10. Had problems first attempting download new Broadcom STA wireless driver.
Download apparently worked on the second attempt. First attempt came back with some sort of archive error. Been getting a lot of those on this release.

After activating the Broadcom driver, my wireless network doesnt appear in the top bar like it used to.

johnnytm
October 14th, 2010, 04:28 AM
u have to build tar files they are not normally self installing. You have to build the driver package and then install it. This link http://www.broadcom.com/docs/linux_sta/README.txt will give u directions on how to do that for whatever version of the tar file you have.