PDA

View Full Version : No Support / Replies (???)

Nightstrike2009
October 13th, 2010, 10:20 AM
Is it just me or does anyone else out there thin its just easier to sort your own issues out, and post the results recently?

All to often I can post a problem and work it out myself or "google it" before I even get one reply, I thought we are a "community" not just an I know the answer / have that issue but I'll keep it to myself.

This post is not aimed at all those who keep the Linux community alive by sharing their tech issues and trying to provide solutions, your a credit to Linux and are a pillar of the Linux community.

To the others why don't you just stick with ******* if you want to play it that way?

Surely I am not the only one who has encountered this recently, If I can help out I will, I run Ubuntu only on my PC (Not dual-boot) and dont think its too much to ask of others.

Has anyone else suffered this recently?

coutts99
October 13th, 2010, 10:59 AM
Is it just me or does anyone else out there thin its just easier to sort your own issues out, and post the results recently?

All to often I can post a problem and work it out myself or "google it" before I even get one reply, I thought we are a "community" not just an I know the answer / have that issue but I'll keep it to myself.

This post is not aimed at all those who keep the Linux community alive by sharing their tech issues and trying to provide solutions, your a credit to Linux and are a pillar of the Linux community.

To the others why don't you just stick with ******* if you want to play it that way?

Surely I am not the only one who has encountered this recently, If I can help out I will, I run Ubuntu only on my PC (Not dual-boot) and dont think its too much to ask of others.

Has anyone else suffered this recently?

You can find the answer to 99% of problems through a quick google.

Nightstrike2009
October 13th, 2010, 11:05 AM
Hiya Coutts99

By Nightstrike2009:All to often I can post a problem and work it out myself or "google it" before I even get one reply, I thought we are a "community" not just an I know the answer / have that issue but I'll keep it to myself.

I did mention that in my first post, it doesn't help when your struggling with a problem just to be ignored and have to go off-forum into the "Cyber-Wilderness" every time you post a problem though, despite being a bad example to new forum users. :-(

PS: Thanks for the reply though first one I've had in ages LOL

coutts99
October 13th, 2010, 11:10 AM
Hiya Coutts99

I did mention that in my first post, it doesn't help when your struggling with a problem just to be ignored and have to go off-forum into the "Cyber-Wilderness" every time you post a problem though, despite being a bad example to new forum users. :-(

PS: Thanks for the reply though first one I've had in ages LOL

Google is always my first port of call, I very very rarely post problems to forums, it's a very slow way of getting help.

Nightstrike2009
October 13th, 2010, 11:22 AM
I agree Coutts99, I do the same now the result is I am rarely on the forums and unable to help others while I am there, doesn't help the Ubuntu community at all.

I like to help others where I can not leave them to struggle, pity theres not more like us my friend, the community would be much healthier it there was. :-(

PS: Maybe I am just looking from an half-empty perspective rather than half-full attitude, I am part of a small social group of three Ubuntu users (and the longest running user, I helped convert the others) and we tend to help each other out regularly. Maybe I have learned faster than I thought and should depend on my own technical experience first :-)

del_diablo
October 13th, 2010, 11:28 AM
I have seen this.
If the problem is not completely obvious, or completely common, the chance of getting help is more or less null.
If you have a problem related to that ACPI is broken, but don't know that, all you will get is random ******** until you either google it or figure it out.

NightwishFan
October 13th, 2010, 11:30 AM
This new site is a very good place to get an answer. Users there are motivated by point awards (community trust and powers of moderation) as well. (The great Napoleon did once say "Give me enough medals and I will win any war.") You can see if Napoleon was right by asking your questions there. It is much more suited for answers and not for discussions. I like a bit of both so I post here. :) (I am also NightwishFan on askubuntu).

http://askubuntu.com/

As for the forums. I think folks just do not want to answer if they do not know how to help, which is common. These are a large forums and a lot of questions get overlooked. I am a member of the unanswered posts team, however I am probably not the most active. I did a lot more months ago.

Zzl1xndd
October 13th, 2010, 11:36 AM
I think it has more to do with the questions becoming more obscure. I know when I first started with Ubuntu (And Linux for that matter) a lot of the questions were, how do I install application x, or configure my Wifi etc. But now for most of the installs are easy and more hardware works out of the box (or with a 2 simple clicks) leading to the most peoples questions being related to some odd bit of hardware they have, or esoteric software.

Nightstrike2009
October 13th, 2010, 11:45 AM
All good point made above, but still the problem exists.

I recently posted a problem with Ubuntu 10.04LTS update manager refusing to update "Libc6" (Important Security Update) and "erlang" (Reccomended Update) and added I wished to confirm if others maybe suffering same problem (so I could attempt to report the bugs to devs) but once again got no answer. My thread is http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1594353

These issues need addressing if they do indeed relate to important Ubuntu 10.04LTS security features not just for my use, but for all of us.

NightwishFan
October 13th, 2010, 11:49 AM
I do not know if you did, however ample information for such a bug would be any observations and error reports, as well as the output of manually trying to update using the command line.

sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade

Nightstrike2009
October 13th, 2010, 12:00 PM
Manally trying to upgrade Libc6 resorted in "Breaks existing dependancy error", tried the command you suggested and it worked then "Libc6" and "Erlang" hit the same roadblocks as before. Ive ditched the Uk server and let it autodetect the best one which iam now using.

Libc6 always hangs at 41% and blocks the remaining updates from completing.

PS: I am beginning to think that even though I don't want to I should just upgrade to 10.10 and hope this resolves it, but these potential bugs lie with an LTS Ubuntu not a standard one.

NightwishFan
October 13th, 2010, 12:29 PM
Ok, point me to the thread and I will help you there (if I can).

CharlesA
October 13th, 2010, 12:32 PM
Would you rather someone post a helpful reply, or something like "Sorry, Not a clue what to do to fix that" ?

Just throwing that out there. Not everyone has run into every error message and problem immaginable, and all the people here are just volunteers - no one gets paid to post here.

Nightstrike2009
October 14th, 2010, 01:48 PM
Cheers nightwishfan,

By Nightstrike2009:I recently posted a problem with Ubuntu 10.04LTS update manager refusing to update "Libc6" (Important Security Update) and "erlang" (Reccomended Update) and added I wished to confirm if others maybe suffering same problem (so I could attempt to report the bugs to devs) but once again got no answer. My thread is http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1594353

This issue has changes has I have upgraded to 10.10 myself now but now the new kernel and tzdata are creating problems with update manager. Weirdly i can make some problem packages stick by downloading deb files, so why update manager hangs is beyond me has i can download them on the same connection via deb sometimes.

I also get your point CharlesA but bugs need to be reported and fixed if possible not left for the next user to stumble into, if possible the devs should know they exist via launchpad, so they can fix them. :-)

juancarlospaco
October 14th, 2010, 02:47 PM
" Dont Google the question Moss!!! "

:D

CharlesA
October 14th, 2010, 02:56 PM
" Dont Google the question Moss!!! "

:D

IT Crowd for the win!