PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] p2p networks

Legeril
October 13th, 2010, 05:50 AM
I've always avoided p2p programs because of the high risk of virus's but what are they like using with Linux? Does Linux have it's own p2p networks? Are there any programs/networks that are recommended? What are the security issues I should take into consideration if I use a p2p program?

jtarin
October 13th, 2010, 06:39 AM
Virtually no problems....only if you download a virus harmful to a Windows system then transfer that file to a Windows environment.

Legeril
October 13th, 2010, 06:56 AM
A friend told me to download a program called giFT, I just downloaded it through the Synaptic Package Manager and installed it. But I can't find the program, how do I find out where it's been installed too? And where I am able to run it from?

jtarin
October 13th, 2010, 10:37 AM
If it installed you should be able to find it by going to the terminal and issuing the command
sudo updatedb let it run until finished....it updates you data base of all files on your installation. Then issue the command
sudo locate <application name> in your particular case replace <application name> with "gift" without quotation marks.You then be able to find all instances of the application on yourinstall. Have you tried simply looking through the Main menu?

spikoley
October 13th, 2010, 11:13 AM
The which command will also tell you where the command is installed.

which command-name

You can add it to the menu by right clicking on Applications and then click Edit Menus.

cascade9
October 13th, 2010, 02:16 PM
I've always avoided p2p programs because of the high risk of virus's but what are they like using with Linux? Does Linux have it's own p2p networks? Are there any programs/networks that are recommended? What are the security issues I should take into consideration if I use a p2p program?

Its not so much the actual program that has a risk of viruses (though that can happen), its more what you d/l. D/ling a file, eg a .exe that has some sort of malware, and running it on windows would be enough to get you infected, no matter what OS it was d/led on.

No 'linux only' p2p netwoprks as far as I know, but there are linux clients for almost all of them. BTW, giFT is just a single program that interfaces with multipule p2p networks, and from what I've heard, does none of them as well as a client made for just that network.

As for what network is recommended...depends on what your after. Some of them are good for 1 thing, hopeless for another.....