PDA

View Full Version : Best Free Web Hosting?

GrantStoner
October 13th, 2010, 04:59 AM
What is the "best" free web host you know of? I have this awesome site built, however, I can only view it on my laptop - as I can't seem to find a good free host. I've tried a lot of them. I need one that allows a lot of different file extensions. I do need to have FTP access to it, cause that's how i'll be uploading my files. I don't care if it has cPanel too or not. And also, no banners or ads. So, I ask you, through experience, who is the best free web host? (Also, if you have your own server and you'd be willing to host my site - less than 10MB right now - then please PM me!!!)

avengingwatcher
October 13th, 2010, 05:55 AM
Well I can personally recommend freehostia as pretty good, the ftp can be a little wonky but once you know how to do it, it is very easy. Also a really cheap hoster is hole in the wall hosting which comes with super high reviews from the people I know that use it.

GrantStoner
October 13th, 2010, 06:06 AM
Freehosia requires you to already have a domain name doesn't it? I don't have one. Is there an option to use a sub-domain such as blahblahblah.freehostia.com? I didn't see that option.

sendblink23
October 13th, 2010, 06:11 AM
Freehosia requires you to already have a domain name doesn't it? I don't have one. Is there an option to use a sub-domain such as blahblahblah.freehostia.com? I didn't see that option.

I think it does... it says:

FREE

Domains Hosted 5
Sub-domains 15

According to this page: http://www.freehostia.com/hosting.html

If not then... buu that stinks you need to own a domain to use the free hosting there

I think with this you can do a free domain thing from here: http://www.nic.cz.cc/index.php?ref=Amaresh
And probably use it with freehosia.. that is if freehosia doesn't give any

Barriehie
October 13th, 2010, 06:24 AM
Why not use no-ip or dyndns or some such outfit and redirect url requests to a server running on your machine? It's about $10/year to mask the url so that users don't see a numeric domain name and port #. I use no-ip because they can port redirect.

sendblink23
October 13th, 2010, 06:27 AM
Why not use no-ip or dyndns or some such outfit and redirect url requests to a server running on your machine? It's about $10/year to mask the url so that users don't see a numeric domain name and port #. I use no-ip because they can port redirect.

Randomly asking(since I've never set up a server) won't he need his computer running 24/7 for that?

GrantStoner
October 13th, 2010, 06:31 AM
Well, if freehostia does allow you to do that, then I can't figure it out for the life of me. Any other suggestions?

GrantStoner
October 13th, 2010, 06:33 AM
Oh, and $10 is too much. I'm looking for FREE. Even $0.01 is too much in this case. But thanks.

HereInOz
October 13th, 2010, 06:37 AM
A domain name registration in Australia costs around $45 for 2 years, and that is for a .com.au domain name. You can get .com and .net even cheaper.

Is AU$45 too much for 2 years?

GrantStoner
October 13th, 2010, 06:40 AM
Yes, that is too much. I'm not looking to have a domain name - I'm completely ok with a sub-domain by the host. This site I made is small, and mostly only friends and family will be looking at it, that's why I don't want to put money into it. Maybe if it was a big site or something.

HereInOz
October 13th, 2010, 06:47 AM
In that case, does your ISP give you any free web space? They often do, and if your username is, say, grantstoner, you end up with a website URL of something like:

http://www.yourisp.com/grantstoner
or
http://users.yourisp.com/grantstoner

or something similar to that.

Is that do-able?

sendblink23
October 13th, 2010, 06:51 AM
Use this: http://www.110mb.com/

Its only 110mb(100gb bandwidth) but it does offer the sub domains upon registering free

Jimbopix
October 13th, 2010, 06:52 AM
Yeah good call, check your ISP package. I know mine offers free web hosting. I actually forgot it did untill HereInOz mentioned it, haha.

Zero++
October 13th, 2010, 06:56 AM
If you want to leave your computer on 24/7 dyndns is a great service. You get a yoursite.dyndns.org url and as long as your server is running you'll have web access.

To use ddclinet to send dyndns your ip address.
You will also need to install a lamp server on your system (but is sounds like you have one).

GrantStoner
October 13th, 2010, 07:01 AM
If you want to leave your computer on 24/7 dyndns is a great service. You get a yoursite.dyndns.org url and as long as your server is running you'll have web access.

To use ddclinet to send dyndns your ip address.
You will also need to install a lamp server on your system (but is sounds like you have one).

I can't leave my computer running 24/7. I take it with me everywhere I go, including school. I use it during most of my classes. And I don't think I do have a lamp server, since I don't even know that is. ^_^

HereInOz
October 13th, 2010, 07:04 AM
However, the cost to run a computer 24/7, if you are not already, will be significant. It would certainly remove FREE from the equation.

Unless, of course, you could set up an exercise bike with a generator on it, and persuade some members of the family to go out and pedal. That would restore the FREE aspect, and be good for the health as well.

GrantStoner
October 13th, 2010, 07:18 AM
Again, I have no intention of running my laptop 24/7. Plus, I'm pretty sure my mom (whom I live with, and who pays for everything) would pay the electric bill. So it'd still be free to me.

sendblink23
October 13th, 2010, 07:22 AM
Again, I have no intention of running my laptop 24/7. Plus, I'm pretty sure my mom (whom I live with, and who pays for everything) would pay the electric bill. So it'd still be free to me.

I just gave you a website (post #12) that has 110mb data free with 100GB of monthly bandwidth, and when registering the free account it gives right there sub domain signup
110mb.com

In other words it gives you what you are looking for lol

slooksterpsv
October 13th, 2010, 07:22 AM
http://0000free.com/hosting.html - haven't tried with them, but that's pretty shiny, it supports everything, cgi, php, mysql, etc. You get 10GB Bandwidth and 1GB Space. I'd look into it.

GrantStoner
October 13th, 2010, 07:43 AM
Thanks sendblink23, I'll look into that one. Sounds promising. As for 0000free, I've already tried them. I don't remember why, but something compelled me to not use them for more than an hour or so. (I don't remember the reason cause I've been trying one host after another and denying them all for various reasons).

Barriehie
October 13th, 2010, 02:26 PM
Randomly asking(since I've never set up a server) won't he need his computer running 24/7 for that?

If you want 24/7 access yes. I see mention of leaving the machine on all the time. Here's the numbers off of my laptop.

11.1 volts * 4.05 amps / hour = 44.995 Watts/hour * 24 hours/day = 1078.92 watss/day = 1.07892 KW/hours * $0.10 per KW/hour = 10.7892 cents / day to run.

GrantStoner
October 14th, 2010, 02:26 AM
Nice job with the math, it helps when it seems like people know what they're talking about like the back of their hand. I think I've found the perfect free host, though. I'll let you guys know as soon as I upload everything.

Barriehie
October 14th, 2010, 03:07 AM
Nice job with the math, it helps when it seems like people know what they're talking about like the back of their hand. I think I've found the perfect free host, though. I'll let you guys know as soon as I upload everything.

:) And IF you ever want your own server you know where to post!

GrantStoner
October 14th, 2010, 03:27 AM
I'm going to mark this thread as closed, only cause I've found my host - at last! HostCell.net is magnificent. It allows all filetypes, completely free on my end, allows all markup languages (HTML, CSS, etc). Even the music in the background plays. The only complaint is - they don't automatically just give you server space. You have to type a few sentences telling them the purpose of your website, and they'll approve it. Other than that, they are the best thing I could find in the world of free hosting.

Everyone please feel free to check out my site now that it's live!
TheHaxLab.hostcell.net
And please post back here on this thread (even if marked closed) and give me your feedback! All comments and suggestions are welcome.

Or email me at thehaxlab@gmail.com

cariboo
October 14th, 2010, 04:11 AM
This isn't a support question, move to the Cafe

GrantStoner
October 14th, 2010, 05:21 AM
What? Sorry, I'm not sure what you're asking of me. Move the thread to a different category?

pattiv888
October 14th, 2010, 06:38 AM
Online solutions are definitely the way to go! I used to use free solutions, which I thought were free – but because there was so much installation and effort – it ended up costing me tons of $$ and headache.

Now there are solutions like haikuob.com where it is hosted, and all of the tech part is done for you. I have my own business going on it, and it handles the shopping cart, website, customer database, email marketing and it’s all in one system! I’ll never go back to regular hosting or scripts – ever.

slooksterpsv
October 14th, 2010, 06:41 AM
What? Sorry, I'm not sure what you're asking of me. Move the thread to a different category?

Where it wasn't a support question regarding Ubuntu, it was moved to the area where all other items (within reason) are acceptable. The community cafe =D

GrantStoner
October 14th, 2010, 07:27 AM
Ooooh, gotcha. Thanks mate. I'll pay more attention where I'm posting in the future. ^_^