PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] ati driver

pokethesmot
October 13th, 2010, 04:42 AM
when i upgraded to Ubuntu 10.10my ATI proprietary driver disappeared and i wanna know how can i reinstall it i forgot how i did it last time

pokethesmot
October 13th, 2010, 12:24 PM
bump

Mark Phelps
October 13th, 2010, 02:17 PM
First of all QUIT BUMPING!! That's rude and impatient. We're not all sitting here waiting for you to post so we can jump up and respond.

Second, we can't answer that question without knowing the make and model of your video card.

So, if you know what that is -- post it. If you don't, open a terminal, run the command "lspci" and look for a line containing "VGA". Post that line back here.

cascade9
October 13th, 2010, 02:20 PM
Second, we can't answer that question without knowing the make and model of your video card.

I hope its the card listed in the sig-

ATI radeon 2600 xt

You should get the drivers from looking in-
System-> Administration-> Hardware drivers.

Mark Phelps
October 13th, 2010, 04:26 PM

Yeah, I SAW that already ... but this wouldn't be the first time someone's sig was not in synch with their actual hardware.

Better to do the command and find out for sure ...

cascade9
October 13th, 2010, 04:58 PM
I'm hoping that "my ATI proprietary driver disappeared" combined with the 2600XT means it is right. But yeah, true, sometimes the hardware in sigs is 'out of date'. One of the reasons why I never use them. That, and I dont think I could fit all my hardware into the amount of space that a sig should be here (and does anyone really care anyway? This really isnt a hardware forum). LOL.

pokethesmot
October 13th, 2010, 06:53 PM

ATI radeon 2600 xt

You should get the drivers from looking in-
System-> Administration-> Hardware drivers.

yep thats my card and im about to try it thanks

pokethesmot
October 13th, 2010, 06:59 PM
yep that did the trick thanks so much...well to everyone besides the guy that hates "bumping"

cascade9
October 13th, 2010, 07:02 PM
No problem.

Mark Phelps does have a point though, bumping before 24hrs has passed is considered rude ;)