PDA

View Full Version : Microsoft's Biggest Security Flaw To Date

giddyup306
October 13th, 2010, 02:32 AM
Wow they beat their old record that they set last October...

http://m.zdnet.com/blog/security/patch-tuesday-critical-flaws-haunt-microsoft-office-ie-browser/7447

Half-Left
October 13th, 2010, 02:50 AM
Nothing new. You're more at risk with Windows by the fact that it's used the most.

Using a minority OS has it's advantages.

jcolyn
October 13th, 2010, 02:57 AM
And people wonder why I don't use Windows.................

MisterGaribaldi
October 13th, 2010, 03:03 AM
I use Windows where and when I have to. That's about it.

pwnst*r
October 13th, 2010, 03:20 AM
I like Windows. I also like *nix. Oh, and I like me some OSX as well.

Half-Left
October 13th, 2010, 03:53 AM
I like Windows. I also like *nix. Oh, and I like me some OSX as well.

Hide behind being neutral always works here. :p

pwnst*r
October 13th, 2010, 04:03 AM
Hide behind being neutral always works here. :p

I don't hide behind ****. I use what I use because it works for me. Just because i'm not a zealot doesn't mean I'm totally neutral.

Golf clap though.

Dustin2128
October 13th, 2010, 04:05 AM
Hide behind being neutral always works here. :p What makes a man turn neutral ... Lust for gold? Power? Or were you just born with a heart full of neutrality? ;)

Half-Left
October 13th, 2010, 04:20 AM
I don't hide behind ****. I use what I use because it works for me. Just because i'm not a zealot doesn't mean I'm totally neutral.

Golf clap though.

It doesn't make people zealots for using one OS and not liking others for whatever reason. I just wondered what your comment had to do with the topic so take my comment as it was, which was a bit of fun.

CharlesA
October 13th, 2010, 04:23 AM
What makes a man turn neutral ... Lust for gold? Power? Or were you just born with a heart full of neutrality? ;)

Lol.

inobe
October 13th, 2010, 04:27 AM
Nothing new. You're more at risk with Windows by the fact that it's used the most.

completely false

phredbull
October 13th, 2010, 04:27 AM

Golf clap though.

Zealotry and unbridled fanboyism abounds here, no denying that! Just try to count the number of smug, "Works for me!" responses to support requests...

Half-Left
October 13th, 2010, 04:29 AM
What makes a man turn neutral ... Lust for gold? Power? Or were you just born with a heart full of neutrality? ;)

If it works but kills cats I won't use it but if it works but doesn't kill cats, I'll use it. Morals are a good thing to have and neutrality doesn't work for me, most of the time. :)

Half-Left
October 13th, 2010, 04:33 AM
completely false

Not at all, Windows and OS X are much bigger targets for crackers and why the cracker of a certain competition went for the biggest prize. It wasn't Linux.

PaulReaver
October 13th, 2010, 04:34 AM

http://m.zdnet.com/blog/security/patch-tuesday-critical-flaws-haunt-microsoft-office-ie-browser/7447

its funny how the xbox 360 is so secure compared to their OS'

mind you..... An insecure xbox 360 would cost them money.

inobe
October 13th, 2010, 04:40 AM
Not at all, Windows and OS X are much bigger targets for crackers and why the cracker of a certain competition went for the biggest prize. It wasn't Linux.

i love your art work, this one is very nice, do you have different resolutions laying about ? really nice :)

http://half-left.deviantart.com/gallery/#/d2hp65g

oh, never mind, you have a large file there, i can scale it.

zer010
October 13th, 2010, 04:49 AM

:lolflag:Great reference! That always cracked me up!

QIII
October 13th, 2010, 04:52 AM
It's a shame for Windows. I don't like to see this on Windows' behalf.

My beef is not Windows (an OS) itself.

Now, watching MS (a corporation whose business practices I utterly loath) get a black eye is sort of fun.

What is all the fuss about neutrality? Why must someone who professes neutrality be so scorned? OS neutrality allows you to see both the faults in yours and the desirable in another's.

(But Zapp was on to something.)

PaulReaver
October 13th, 2010, 04:55 AM
to be honest I'm kinda the other way round.

they make an insecure Operating System :(

but some of the products they make are really good (keyboards, mice, games consoles...etc) :)

although sneaky underhanded tactics are never good.....

Legendary_Bibo
October 13th, 2010, 05:04 AM
I kind of like Windows 7, OMG Windows doesn't suck for once! I also like my Ubuntu, and because I no longer have to use my Linux machine for school I think I will do a fresh install of 10.10 after I back up some important files. Yeah I have to stick to the safe websites I know of in order to ensure Windows is safe versus going out into the wilds of the internet with Ubuntu.

Ctrl-Alt-F1
October 13th, 2010, 05:14 AM
its funny how the xbox 360 is so secure compared to their OS'

mind you..... An insecure xbox 360 would cost them money.

Yeah well, that's not exactly difficult when all the 360 has to do is play games and doesn't allow you to administrate the system.

How does an insecure OS not cost them money?

PaulReaver
October 13th, 2010, 05:31 AM
well, when they've sold you it that's it... transaction complete.
they're obviously not working very hard at redmond, otherwise windows would be more secure?

they obviously are good at security. the 360 is a right pain to hack, you've got to reflash the dvd drive every time you want to play a different game.... I couldn't be bothered, too much hassle.

windows=insecure
360=pretty secure

so they must be relaxed about windows security rather than incapable of fixing it. (which is worse IMO)

HermanAB
October 13th, 2010, 09:24 AM
Well, after fixing those few bugs, I'm sure Windows is now the most secure OS ever.

Grenage
October 13th, 2010, 09:29 AM
windows=insecure
360=pretty secure

so they must be relaxed about windows security rather than incapable of fixing it. (which is worse IMO)

While I'm not a developer, I'll wager that the xbox 360 OS is a lot simpler than Windows...

PaulReaver
October 13th, 2010, 09:42 AM
what's that got to do with it?

microsoft chose to make both products with different levels of complexity.

that has next to faf all to do with security.

the reason the 360 is more secure is that the 360 will only launch microsoft signed executables.
whereas windows will launch any old crap off the internet.

nothing to do with complexity, everything to do with permissions.

Grenage
October 13th, 2010, 09:46 AM
what's that got to do with it?

microsoft chose to make both products with different levels of complexity.

that has next to faf all to do with security.

the reason the 360 is more secure is that the 360 will only launch microsoft signed executables.
whereas windows will launch any old crap off the internet.

nothing to do with complexity, everything to do with permissions.

What? The Xbox 360 comes with how many hardware configurations compared to desktop PCs? Tie that in with the functionality and breadth of applications available for a PC, and you're saying that it makes no difference?

Half-Left
October 13th, 2010, 02:02 PM
i love your art work, this one is very nice, do you have different resolutions laying about ? really nice :)

http://half-left.deviantart.com/gallery/#/d2hp65g

oh, never mind, you have a large file there, i can scale it.

Offtopic.

Thanks. No I did that in Adobe Illustrator many years ago and found it on the forum I posted it in, then transferred it to DeviantART. :)

Oxwivi
October 13th, 2010, 02:05 PM

I wonder if the Windows developers themselves use Windows or not...

_outlawed_
October 13th, 2010, 02:06 PM

lol @ Futurama reference. :P :popcorn:

Ji Ruo
October 17th, 2010, 01:42 PM
I thought this was Microsoft's biggest security flaw to date:

http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/1724197/microsoft-windows-security-flaw

Naiki Muliaina
October 17th, 2010, 02:35 PM

It does, but security through obscurity is not security at all.

kio_http
October 17th, 2010, 03:16 PM
The biggest security flaw of Microsoft was a vulnerability in all versions of Windows NT from version NT 4.0 to Windows 7 (NT6.1).

I think only Xp, Server 2003 and above received patches for this.

pwnst*r
October 17th, 2010, 03:32 PM
What? The Xbox 360 comes with how many hardware configurations compared to desktop PCs? Tie that in with the functionality and breadth of applications available for a PC, and you're saying that it makes no difference?

^This.

ctrlmd
October 17th, 2010, 04:05 PM
hmm i wounder what security updates i just download last day in a brand new ubuntu 10.10
not so sure :-\"

Austin25
October 17th, 2010, 05:07 PM
hmm i wounder what security updates i just download last day in a brand new ubuntu 10.10
not so sure :-\"
Must agree. How many actually fix security problems, and how many are just updates?

chessnerd
October 17th, 2010, 05:25 PM
While there were a high number of important fixes, I wouldn't say this is Microsoft's "biggest security flaw to date". Unlike the issue with shortcuts (http://www.businesssecurityinformation.com/2010/07/microsoft-shortcut-vulnerability/), these were fixed in a timely fashion. Patches are out. Sure, Windows XP SP2 and lower are SOL, but they aren't supported by Microsoft anymore.

Actually, I think it's better when Microsoft has a month where they fix 40+ security issues. It just means that there are now 40+ less ways for Windows to be attacked. The problem isn't when Microsoft fixes problems, it's when they let them go unfixed...

Jay Car
October 17th, 2010, 06:09 PM

One of my Mac using friends called me last week, she was all upset declaring that her Mac "has a virus".

I told her Macs don't get viruses, and she trotted out the silly meme that they can too, but there aren't as many viruses because Macs are so few.

It seems her teenaged grandson dropped that little pearl of wisdom on her.

After prying some answers out of her, the "virus" she thought her computer had, was actually just a case of an infected Facebook page. (sigh)

I then explained to her that the whole "Windows is only at risk because it's used the most" line, MAY have a glint of truth in it (if one squints and stares at it cross-eyed for a while), but it's only a teensy-tiny part of the whole picture.

To keep it simple for her I just explained that, with Windows, you need to work at making it secure, with Linux and Macs you have to work to make 'em insecure.

I don't hide behind ****. I use what I use because it works for me. Just because i'm not a zealot doesn't mean I'm totally neutral. Golf clap though.

pwnst*r, your droll wit and cynical sarcasm always makes me chuckle.