PDA

View Full Version : Installation Issues - Set up users and password

dhavalbbhatt
October 13th, 2010, 01:54 AM
Hi all -
After having struggled all day trying to install 10.10 64bit (using the alternate CD) on my computer, I finally reached the point where I was asked to put in the username and password. I try doing that, but I get an error message saying that step has failed and I need to go to the menu and re-try the step. I do that, but keep failing.

I am completely frustrated right now - this after having installed and upgraded a number of times in the past. What do I need to do here?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Dhaval

mörgæs
October 13th, 2010, 02:10 AM
Is the user name you chose only in small English letters without spaces and the like?

dhavalbbhatt
October 13th, 2010, 03:50 AM
Is the user name you chose only in small English letters without spaces and the like?

Yes. I think this maybe because I had a bad install from before (same 10.10 64bit) and maybe the system had not wiped out the old user name and password from before??? It's a guess right now, obviously I will try and see if I can get the disk formatted and see if that resolves the issue.

Thanks for the reply though.

Dhaval

dhavalbbhatt
October 13th, 2010, 04:07 AM
All right - I think I might have solved the issue, but have uncovered another one! Previously, at the time of setting up user/password, it would ask if I wanted to encrypt my home directory - and I would check that. This time, I did unchecked the option and it allowed me to get past that step! Obviously, it solves the problem, but now I don't know how to encrypt my home folder. Maybe I can do that after the installation completes?

We shall see...

Thanks,
Dhaval