PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] How to Upgrade from 10.04 to 10.10?

seventhsamurai
October 13th, 2010, 01:25 AM
Hi Guys

So I'm super excited and am downloading the latest Ubuntu 10.10 release. I'm currently running 10.04 64-bit. Can someone please give me instructions on how to install 10.10 like an upgrade, instead of a fresh install? I don't want to delete anything. I'd appreciate your help.

Additionally, I have 2 other machines that are running Ubuntu Studio. Basically, they were running 10.04 64-bit. I then installed Ubuntu Studio through Synaptic Package Manager. If I were to upgrade that to 10.10, how would I go about it? Am I opening a can of worms? Should I just backup everything, and reformat?

seventhsamurai
October 13th, 2010, 01:32 AM
I'm going through the forums and I see way too many people with issues post 10.10 installation, most complaining that it doesn't boot. I think I should just refrain and stick to 10.04 since its working just fine!

Quackers
October 13th, 2010, 01:38 AM
It seems that the more experienced people wait for a while after a new release to allow for problems to be fixed in the meantime.

seventhsamurai
October 13th, 2010, 01:41 AM
That's good advice. I think I will wait.

gadgetman1
October 13th, 2010, 01:59 AM
Hello out there to everyone who is excited to move to 10.10.
Please take my advice & wait. Too too many many problems:

System did not upgrade from the CD, instead installed a fresh copy.
Fixed that, then after upgrade system did not boot. fixed that
Now problem with nvidia card & wireless (still working on this last one) Just too many problems.
Please please wait until you get feed back from suckers like me. ubuntu instead of getting more & more stable, going backward. Voila ubuntu