PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Minimising evolution to indicator applet when closed.

bbala2020
October 13th, 2010, 01:22 AM
I searched for the above in ubuntu forums and not able to get a open thread to post. Ok. By default evolution doesnt behave this way. Its very obvious that most of the community needs it. Ubuntu is opensource and even if canonical doesnt provide this feature by default, some one should have found a way? all-tray is not a solution as it just puts it into system tray and not @ indicator applet.
pls post if there is way to make evolution behave like empathy/gwibber does. If not, suggest how to go about doing this.

JustinR
October 13th, 2010, 02:01 AM
If you need Evolution, I would go with the AllTray option.

Or you could use this:
http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2010/09/email-notification-in-ubuntu-popper/

sgosnell
October 13th, 2010, 02:14 AM
Its very obvious that most of the community needs it.What is obvious to one is not necessarily obvious to all.

JustinR
October 13th, 2010, 03:06 AM
What is obvious to one is not necessarily obvious to all.

Its a fairly common feature request for Evolution. Its nice to have it notify you if you have an Email without having to open/close Evolution everything few minutes. It's especially useful for forum thread notifications.

I too wish they would put this feature in Evolution - it would be handy and AllTray is a little too clunky for me.

sgosnell
October 13th, 2010, 05:07 PM
There are a number of email notifiers available. I just leave Evolution open, on a separate workspace, and I get a notification whenever a new message arrives. Minimizing it accomplishes the same thing as putting it to the tray. Since it seems obvious to me that this request isn't going to be fulfilled, those who want it should be looking at other ways to get the results they want. Wishing doesn't make it so, but there are other ways to get things done.

JustinR
October 13th, 2010, 11:00 PM
There are a number of email notifiers available. I just leave Evolution open, on a separate workspace, and I get a notification whenever a new message arrives. Minimizing it accomplishes the same thing as putting it to the tray. Since it seems obvious to me that this request isn't going to be fulfilled, those who want it should be looking at other ways to get the results they want. Wishing doesn't make it so, but there are other ways to get things done.

That doesn't say convenience and usability that Ubuntu provides - theres plently of new features in Ubuntu like like controlling your media player through the sound indicator applet. Thats nice and convenient - but when an application - especially one included with Ubuntu, doesn't have this very requested convenience and usability feature - it sort of sucks. Its nice to be able to minimize your email to the system tray and get notifications every once and a while - without work arounds or constantly keeping it in the taskbar. It should be fixed.

sgosnell
October 14th, 2010, 03:40 AM
I understand that you would like that feature, but (1) Canonical does not develop Evolution, nor most of the packages bundled with Ubuntu, and (2) the Evolution devs have pretty much said they don't intend to implement it. If someone wants it badly enough, the source code is available for modification.

hexplor
October 19th, 2010, 10:39 PM
I understand that you would like that feature, but (1) Canonical does not develop Evolution, nor most of the packages bundled with Ubuntu, and (2) the Evolution devs have pretty much said they don't intend to implement it. If someone wants it badly enough, the source code is available for modification.

Yeah, Evolution Devs are not listening to people.. This feature was requested on almost every place, almost on every forum, discussion board etc..., for many years ..

Evolution is very advanced piece od software... Can't believe they don't know how to implement simple tray feature.. ehh