PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Oops! Too much Ubuntu

zander x
October 13th, 2010, 12:34 AM
I found myself needing Microsoft Windows XP because I absolutely needed to use Photoshop, so I tried to install it on the win partition. Of course, MS being MS, it "hid" my other OSes. I don't have any recovery tools but I remembered that Ubuntu install is smarter than the average bear and that it would give me my boot menu back and maybe just restore my old Ubuntu installation.

Instead, it gave me a new Ubuntu installation that I don't need. How do I get rid of this newest Ubuntu 10.4 installation? And totally unrelated, is there a program that comes very close to PhotoShop (Adobe is greedy too)?

VMC
October 13th, 2010, 12:39 AM
I found myself needing Micro$oft Window$ XP because I absolutely needed to use Photoshop, so I tried to install it on the win partition. Of course, M$ being M$, it "hid" my other OSes. I don't have any recovery tools but I remembered that Ubuntu install is smarter than the average bear and that it would give me my boot menu back and maybe just restore my old Ubuntu installation.

Instead, it gave me a new Ubuntu installation that I don't need. How do I get rid of this newest Ubuntu 10.4 installation? And totally unrelated, is there a program that comes very close to Photo$hop (Adobe is greedy too)?

Lets start with how you tried to install the second Ubuntu. Was it to another partition? If so then the original Ubuntu is still intact.

I think what your wanting to do is recovery or re-install grub.

In re-reading your post, it looks like the second cup of Ubuntu was installed and your wanting to get rid of the first. I'm I close?

zander x
October 13th, 2010, 01:20 AM
Lets start with how you tried to install the second Ubuntu. Was it to another partition? If so then the original Ubuntu is still intact.

I think what your wanting to do is recovery or re-install grub.

In re-reading your post, it looks like the second cup of Ubuntu was installed and your wanting to get rid of the first. I'm I close?

I installed the second Ubuntu to another partition. I *WAS* trying to do recovery or re-install grub but XP wiped out my menu and I'm not Ubuntu-classy enough yet to know how else to get in, so that's why I did an install thinking it might say "yo bro, you already have an installation of Ubuntu; do you want to just get back in?"

So what I want to do is keep the first install and get rid of the second (it ends in the word "pae").

faceless-21
October 13th, 2010, 01:22 AM
If you are looking for a linux version of PS then check out GIMP http://www.gimp.org/downloads/ It is a very powerful photo editor that any "linux only" photographer will use for editing. I myself either dual boot or use windows inside linux using virtual box and install PS inside that, its a tad slow but works well enough :)

scrooge_74
October 13th, 2010, 01:26 AM
There is even a Gimp version for Windows (not that I used it myself)

This (http://www.ubuntugeek.com/how-to-restore-grub-boot-loader-after-installing-windows.html) may shed some light on your original problem

zander x
October 13th, 2010, 05:50 AM
There is even a Gimp version for Windows (not that I used it myself)

This (http://www.ubuntugeek.com/how-to-restore-grub-boot-loader-after-installing-windows.html) may shed some light on your original problem

I got the boot loader back, I just need to totally remove this second installation of Ubuntu.

VMC
October 13th, 2010, 06:37 AM
I got the boot loader back, I just need to totally remove this second installation of Ubuntu.

You can use the livecd and run gparted(System>Administration>Gparted) to remove the Ubuntu partition in question. Do you know what the partition number is?

zander x
October 13th, 2010, 11:26 PM
You can use the livecd and run gparted(System>Administration>Gparted) to remove the Ubuntu partition in question. Do you know what the partition number is?

I think sda7 is the new one (3 gigs used of 52 gigs unused) and sda5 is the old [present] one (11 used/56 unused).

oldos2er
October 14th, 2010, 02:00 AM
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Grub2#Restore%20GRUB2%20-%20Recovering%20from%20a%20Windows%20XP%20/%20Vista%20/%207%20Reinstallation

zander x
October 14th, 2010, 04:39 AM
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Grub2#Restore%20GRUB2%20-%20Recovering%20from%20a%20Windows%20XP%20/%20Vista%20/%207%20Reinstallation

Not only did that not work, now all I get is:

error: no such device: e2dc-7786
grub rescue>

wilee-nilee
October 14th, 2010, 05:04 AM
Lets see the whole picture, post the bootscript in my signature, in code tags. The code tags can be generated by clicking on the # in the reply and putting the text in between. The script will show us what is where.

zander x
October 15th, 2010, 04:46 PM
Lets see the whole picture, post the bootscript in my signature, in code tags. The code tags can be generated by clicking on the # in the reply and putting the text in between. The script will show us what is where.

Hey wilee-nilee; no worries beef curries! I stayed up a few more hours and got it back. I'm not sure how I did it, but it's back. I really like Ubuntu especially seeing as how in 4 months, its only crashed twice, but when it has technical problems, its scary.

Now the only problem is that Win 7 wants to wipe the entire HD to restore itself, so I need a tool to back up my entire Ubuntu installation.