PDA

View Full Version : Linux Is on the Rise For Business

KiwiNZ
October 12th, 2010, 08:32 PM
"Large companies are planning to increase their reliance on Linux over the next five years, both in terms of the number of Linux servers run in their organizations and in terms of the mission-critical nature of the work they're used for.

Big companies are planning to lean on Linux more in the future, according to a study.
That's according to a report released Tuesday by the Linux Foundation in partnership with Yeoman Technology Group."

http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/207479/linux_is_on_the_rise_for_business.html

The next five years may prove interesting but the trends are already there for all to see in the Server market.

Half-Left
October 12th, 2010, 08:35 PM
Enterprise is the key to a good desktop uptake for Linux. Servers are pretty irreverent since Linux is already strong there.

KiwiNZ
October 12th, 2010, 08:45 PM
Enterprise is the key to a good desktop uptake for Linux. Servers are pretty irreverent since Linux is already strong there.

There will not be a corresponding rise in the uptake of Linux on the Desktop for Enterprises in line with the Server up take.

Half-Left
October 12th, 2010, 08:52 PM
There will not be a corresponding rise in the uptake of Linux on the Desktop for Enterprises in line with the Server up take.

I'm saying it will help Linux uptake on the desktop if Linux enterprise uptake it good, since that is pretty much how Windows got desktop uptake.

pwnst*r
October 12th, 2010, 08:55 PM
I'm saying it will help Linux uptake on the desktop if Linux enterprise uptake it good, since that is pretty much how Windows got desktop uptake.

Except that's not going to happen in most corporate locations.

KiwiNZ
October 12th, 2010, 08:57 PM

No it was not. There was no such thing as Windows Server when MS launched MS Windows.

koenn
October 12th, 2010, 09:04 PM

Doesn't compare - Windows home desktop use and enterprise desktop use reinforced each other - Windows servers came later.

So it's not because enterprises run linux servers, that their employees will stop using Windows desktops.

Most often, those servers run databases, web apps, storage, or the server side of client-server apps, and, recently, "private clouds". This does not automatically affect desktop usage

Half-Left
October 12th, 2010, 09:23 PM
Just to clarify. One of the reasons why Windows became popular on the desktop was because it was popular in the enterprise market.

Use it at work, why not use it at home. Linux needs to do the same thing.

I wasn't talking about servers, since that doesn't have much effect on uptake of the OS anywhere else.

bash
October 12th, 2010, 10:00 PM
Year of the Linux server! ;)

Naiki Muliaina
October 12th, 2010, 10:05 PM
That article sounds very server based. Is there any rumblings of Linux being used in the workplace for the non geek desk monkeys who just use spread sheets, word processing, and invoice apps etc?