PDA

View Full Version : iPad all-time fastest-selling gadget

KiwiNZ
October 12th, 2010, 07:02 PM
With an estimated 8.5 million sales since launch the iPad is now the fastest selling Tech device in history. It would be nice to a $ for everyone sold.

http://www.tuaw.com/2010/10/12/its-official-ipad-now-the-all-time-top-selling-gadget/

pwnst*r
October 12th, 2010, 07:17 PM
Damn impressive for something I didn't think would do very well within its first year, and I'm not an Apple hater.

That being said, I still have no use for one.

kaldor
October 12th, 2010, 07:23 PM
Damn impressive for something I didn't think would do very well within its first year, and I'm not an Apple hater.

That being said, I still have no use for one.

I was expecting it to do well, but not as well as this.

I, too, have no use for one though ^^

KiwiNZ
October 12th, 2010, 07:27 PM
I to was doubtful as to if I would have uses for one but after buying my son one for Medical College I found quite a few uses for it myself .

gintovan
October 12th, 2010, 08:20 PM
Yeah it's sad, isn't it!? :P just joking (a little).

A comment from the site:

The nintendo ds came out in 2004. It took six years to get to that number and when it started out, it wasn't exactly flying off the shelves.

Apple sold over 250 million ipods between launch and present. But look at when the iPod first showed up on the market. They were released in 2001. It took 9 years to get to 250 million units sold.

Like the ds, sales started out as a trickle and then built into a flood.

Comparitively, the iPad is flying off the shelves and is doing better in it's first year than either the ds or iPod.

But I guess it's great for Apple and the users that actually finds it useful!

Though to me personally it wouldn't be of any more use than a good old brick ](*,)

Half-Left
October 12th, 2010, 08:32 PM
I wouldn't pay the price of an iPad just for a few uses but as all gadgets go, they just hang around the house waiting to be used.

Not that I would support Apple in any way myself. I'd rather have a Android device if any.

brokenromeo
October 12th, 2010, 08:37 PM
Sad thing is, these people are going to have to buy all over again to get USB, Camera, Flash support(don't hold your breath on that one!) I would like to get an iPad, but I can do so much more on a netbook or laptop...and they aren't cheap. It will be interesting to see what the next gen will offer...

KiwiNZ
October 12th, 2010, 08:42 PM
Sad thing is, these people are going to have to buy all over again to get USB, Camera, Flash support(don't hold your breath on that one!) I would like to get an iPad, but I can do so much more on a netbook or laptop...and they aren't cheap. It will be interesting to see what the next gen will offer...

Since owning one I have had no need for USB , APPs are loaded from the Store , Docs etc via Sync or Wifi .Mobile Me gives me Cloud storage.

I do not need a Camera , I have very good SLR and my iPhone has an excellent camera and certainly do not want it crippled by Flash as I do want any Laptop crippled by Flash.

Half-Left
October 12th, 2010, 08:50 PM
Since owning one I have had no need for USB , APPs are loaded from the Store , Docs etc via Sync or Wifi .Mobile Me gives me Cloud storage.

I do not need a Camera , I have very good SLR and my iPhone has an excellent camera and certainly do not want it crippled by Flash as I do want any Laptop crippled by Flash.

Flash runs fine on Android devices. Apple gave the impression Flash would cripple them or indeed their devices, but they didn't support multitasking until they seen Android devices doing it easy enough. :p

pwnst*r
October 12th, 2010, 08:53 PM
Flash runs fine on Android devices. Apple gave the impression Flash would cripple them or indeed their devices, but they didn't support multitasking until they seen Android devices doing it easy enough. :p

After the inclusion of flash on my Evo, I find it more of a nuisance than anything else. Good thing I can selectively enable/disable it.

Half-Left
October 12th, 2010, 08:55 PM
After the inclusion of flash on my Evo, I find it more of a nuisance than anything else. Good thing I can selectively enable/disable it.

Yep, that's the beauty of choice rather than it being made for you.

KiwiNZ
October 12th, 2010, 08:55 PM

Yes but watch the battery life go down the drain. And performance hits galore.

pwnst*r
October 12th, 2010, 09:00 PM
Yep, that's the beauty of choice rather than it being made for you.

I'd rather it not be there at all. Flash is crap.

Half-Left
October 12th, 2010, 09:31 PM
Yes but watch the battery life go down the drain. And performance hits galore.

Well, I wouldn't stop people using it just because of that but Apple have their reasons and take the choice away. One of my own reasons why I wouldn't touch an Apple device. I wouldn't want to be baby-sat.

KiwiNZ
October 12th, 2010, 09:42 PM
Well, I wouldn't stop people using it just because of that but Apple have their reasons and take the choice away. One of my own reasons why I wouldn't touch an Apple device. I wouldn't want to be baby-sat.

The glory of choice. I chose a one with out Flash.

brokenromeo
October 12th, 2010, 09:52 PM

For me, too many websites still rely on flash content, yes some of the ads are a pain, but flash is still necessary for full browser functionality. The camera is desired, not so much for taking pictures, but rather for video conferencing via skype, etc...that would be very useful for the ipad...

Half-Left
October 12th, 2010, 10:42 PM
The glory of choice. I chose a one with out Flash.

Good for you. :)

lancest
October 12th, 2010, 11:01 PM
IPad's got the market to itself for now.
The Samsung Galaxy tablet is coming soon with Android on Sprint. Heard nice initial reviews.

Dustin2128
October 12th, 2010, 11:06 PM
Disclaimer: I dislike apple. Their products may work for you but I find the lack of choice or freedom quite disturbing (e.g. I wouldn't see flash cripple my mobile device; no big deal, neither would I, but I prefer to be able to make that decision without the almighty jobs).
http://www.dilbert.com/dyn/str_strip/000000000/00000000/0000000/100000/00000/0000/700/100758/100758.strip.gif

KiwiNZ
October 12th, 2010, 11:26 PM
Disclaimer: I dislike apple. Their products may work for you but I find the lack of choice or freedom quite disturbing (e.g. I wouldn't see flash cripple my mobile device; no big deal, neither would I, but I prefer to be able to make that decision without the almighty jobs).
http://www.dilbert.com/dyn/str_strip/000000000/00000000/0000000/100000/00000/0000/700/100758/100758.strip.gif

You know the same could be said about the current usability of Linux Desktop.

It's all about the use of the user.

Half-Left
October 12th, 2010, 11:48 PM
Just like to say as well, Flash doesn't eat your battery life like some people think or Jobs has lead you to believe.

Flash is very well optimised for Android devices and a friend of mine has a Nexus one with Flash. No battery draining, but in the end, there is lots of rich content on the web which uses Flash.

KiwiNZ
October 13th, 2010, 12:07 AM
Just like to say as well, Flash doesn't eat your battery life like some people think or Jobs has lead you to believe.

Flash is very well optimised for Android devices and a friend of mine has a Nexus one with Flash. No battery draining, but in the end, there is lots of rich content on the web which uses Flash.

I disagree and if you look at the resources it uses logic will tell you that it will use additional battery power.

Dustin2128
October 13th, 2010, 12:11 AM
You know the same could be said about the current usability of Linux Desktop.

It's all about the use of the user.
arguably yes; that's just apple from my perspective.

_outlawed_
October 13th, 2010, 12:15 AM
iPad sucks and so does Apple.

Just because a product sells, doesn't mean it's good. :/

earthpigg
October 13th, 2010, 12:22 AM
I saw a student using an iPad in one of my classes. She was taking down information about times/dates/costs/descriptions about various events, one of which we needed to attend for the class.

My pen/paper outperformed her iPad.

And, it boots faster.

pizza-is-good
October 13th, 2010, 12:27 AM
iPad sucks and so does Apple.

+1
Look at Windows...
Oh, wait, we're almost forced to buy windows with a new computer, so I guess it doesn't really count.

I disagree with the whole apple philosophy, so I just won't use their products. I prefer to have freedom to do whatever I want with my electronics. The iPod is a good concept, it is just badly implemented, and then you add iTunes...

KiwiNZ
October 13th, 2010, 12:27 AM
I saw a student using an iPad in one of my classes. She was taking down information about times/dates/costs/descriptions about various events, one of which we needed to attend for the class.

My pen/paper outperformed her iPad.

And, it boots faster.

But she looks cooler :P

Half-Left
October 13th, 2010, 12:31 AM
I disagree and if you look at the resources it uses logic will tell you that it will use additional battery power.

Like any media playing orientated software or plugin, of course but Flash like any software can be optimised for hand-held devices.

I mean if you get battery drain because of ads on webpages, that's not Flash's fault after all, it's just rich media.

pwnst*r
October 13th, 2010, 01:23 AM
...and a friend of mine has a Nexus one with Flash. No battery draining...

Please tell me how you measured battery discharge and the scenario which led you to this conclusion.

pwnst*r
October 13th, 2010, 01:24 AM
ipad sucks and so does apple.

k.

jrusso2
October 13th, 2010, 01:27 AM
Beats me why its so big. I am really out of touch I can't even think of a reason I would need one for.

And I use a PowerMac.

cascade9
October 13th, 2010, 02:13 AM
Hmmm, missing the last post, twice its been deleted. I guess thats what happens when you disagree with a mod, on a thread that mod had created.

The point stands though. 8.5 million ipads in 7 months? LOL. Somebodys playing silly with statistics I guess, or doesnt know much about other sales figures.....The Sony PS2 did 980,000 in one day. If they had 2 or 3 million of them, they would have sold all them in one day as well... ipad, its not even close.

Ohh, yeah, its in the comments, somebody is playing hard and fast with 'tech gadget'-

rlaska (http://www.tuaw.com/profile/3208704/) said 2:45PM on 10-12-2010

I don't see the claim of "best-selling gadget" in any of the source quotes.
I guess they mean per unit time. Nintendo has sold 128 million DS'es, according to wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_game_consoles

For the record, I'm not bashing the iPad... I think it's a great device, and I definitely see myself getting one in the future.

[/URL][URL="http://www.tuaw.com/profile/365/"]Victor Agreda Jr (http://www.tuaw.com/profile/365/) said 12:45PM on 10-12-2010

You're right, we've adjusted the title for accuracy.

KiwiNZ
October 13th, 2010, 02:15 AM
The posts were removed as they contained insults. Please keep discusion inline with the code of conduct.

KiwiNZ
October 13th, 2010, 02:18 AM
The article quoted in Tuaw does not say the iPad is the biggest selling gadget it says its the "Fastest selling" to date. And that is a big difference.

The iPad has a loooooooong way to go to gain the title of biggest selling , something I doubt it will achieve.

Half-Left
October 13th, 2010, 02:24 AM
Please tell me how you measured battery discharge and the scenario which led you to this conclusion.

He said he didn't notice any battery draining when using Flash compared to not using it. I mean, that's just normal usage and if Flash drained the battery life as bad as people say, he would have noticed.

I don't see what the big deal is.

PaulReaver
October 13th, 2010, 02:25 AM
The article quoted in Tuaw does not say the iPad is the biggest selling gadget it says its the "Fastest selling" to date. And that is a big difference.

The iPad has a loooooooong way to go to gain the title of biggest selling , something I doubt it will achieve.

obviously the ps2 must have sold faster if it sold 20million in its first year! surely???

I call the 'article' fiction,
is that better??? or do I get a 5 point infraction for that too?

macem29
October 13th, 2010, 02:27 AM
I got an itouch about a year ago and it has basically replaced my netbook as a traveling stay connected
device...fits in a pocket, boots in seconds, scans and connects to wireless faster than a PC, great battery
life, apps launch in a heartbeat...and a great music player to boot....the small screen is the major drawback
for video...ipad solves that issue so I'm not surprised how it has taken off, it's basically a big touch

PaulReaver
October 13th, 2010, 02:29 AM
The posts were removed as they contained insults. Please keep discusion inline with the code of conduct.

first post didn't

second post merely expressed your love for apple (in 6 letters)

formaldehyde_spoon
October 13th, 2010, 02:31 AM
I'd rather it not be there at all. Flash is crap.

Why on earth did you install it? Remove it - problem solved.

The point is that other owners of Evos who *do* want it can have it. I have it on my N1, no problems here (although I personally can't wait for html5 to replace Flash).

Half-Left
October 13th, 2010, 02:35 AM
The fact they had to adjust their title tells you something.

It also depends on what you call a 'gadget', since I think it's somewhat of a cliché. What we call gadgets are what just about everyone has in their home, rather than a novelty.

formaldehyde_spoon
October 13th, 2010, 02:44 AM
obviously the ps2 must have sold faster if it sold 20million in its first year! surely???

I was prepared to believe it, but it turns out you're correct.

For example the Motorola Razr sold 50 million in 2 years, and reached 3 million per month, vs iPad's 4.9 million per quarter. http://www.cellular-news.com/story/15693.php

The iPad claim needs conditions/caveats etc before it can be called correct.

KiwiNZ
October 13th, 2010, 02:48 AM

I call the 'article' fiction,
is that better??? or do I get a 5 point infraction for that too?

Your figures don't add up , and are not backed by Sony's own figures. PS2 got of to a slow start due to supply issues outside of Japan.

They have not exceeded 20mil each and every year as you previously eluded to. The iPad figures are not a full year. They are 5 months.

http://www.scei.co.jp/corporate/data/bizdataps2_sale_e.html

PaulReaver
October 13th, 2010, 02:49 AM
I got an itouch about a year ago and it has basically replaced my netbook as a traveling stay connected
device...fits in a pocket, boots in seconds, scans and connects to wireless faster than a PC, great battery
life, apps launch in a heartbeat...and a great music player to boot....the small screen is the major drawback
for video...ipad solves that issue so I'm not surprised how it has taken off, it's basically a big touch

love my touch, is the ipad just the same but bigger?

surely the whole point of the touch is that its portable?
it's big enough for watching movies on the train, I think anything bigger and i'd look a bit of a prat.

irony is, I used apple hardware before they became trendy.

macem29
October 13th, 2010, 02:58 AM
love my touch, is the ipad just the same but bigger?

surely the whole point of the touch is that its portable?
it's big enough for watching movies on the train, I think anything bigger and i'd look a bit of a prat.

irony is, I used apple hardware before they became trendy.

same OS....only difference that I'm aware of is that those lucky owners have a working VLC app...
ours is coming,,,,don't know all about the ipad, but from what I've seen messing with one in the
store is that it's a bigger touch

PaulReaver
October 13th, 2010, 03:20 AM
The iPad figures are not a full year. They are 5 months.

ipad was released on april 3rd
6 months

They have not exceeded 20mil each and every year as you previously eluded to.

no. obviously the ps2 isn't still selling in those numbers, market saturation, dying console, ps3, psp all have an affect

but....
I said year after year after year, that's 3 years. pick 3.

the ps2 HAS sold 20million in three consecutive years...
are you saying that ps2 hasn't even sold 20million in any single year?
if the ps2 has sold 20million in a single year surely you can assume that it has sold 10 million in 6 months

I was merely saying that MANY other devices people would consider tech have sold in greater numbers and faster than the ipad,

I didn't mean to offend you, but if it does offend you tough luck, its not my fault the ps2 sold so well,
I bought an xbox....

cascade9
October 13th, 2010, 03:29 AM

'Fastest selling', IF you choose a long span. 8.5mill in 9 months is a lot slower than 980,000 in a day, no matter how you cut it.

The iPad might be *just* be in front of the nintendo DS, but given a few months, the DS will be clearly in the lead IMO-

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nintendo_DS_sales

pwnst*r
October 13th, 2010, 03:36 AM
Why on earth did you install it? Remove it - problem solved.

Because it came with Froyo?

smellyman
October 13th, 2010, 03:37 AM
I am surprised it did so well. I don't see the need for any tablet.

between phones and laptops and desktops I have no need for one

KiwiNZ
October 13th, 2010, 03:41 AM
ipad was released on april 3rd
6 months

no. obviously the ps2 isn't still selling in those numbers, market saturation, dying console, ps3, psp all have an affect

but....
I said year after year after year, that's 3 years. pick 3.

the ps2 HAS sold 20million in three consecutive years...
are you saying that ps2 hasn't even sold 20million in any single year?
if the ps2 has sold 20million in a single year surely you can assume that it has sold 10 million in 6 months

I was merely saying that MANY other devices people would consider tech have sold in greater numbers and faster than the ipad,

I didn't mean to offend you, but if it does offend you tough luck, its not my fault the ps2 sold so well,
I bought an xbox....

It may well have sold 20 million in year 2 , 3 ,4 .......... but in its first 5 months it did not an THAT is what this is about . The iPad has sold 8.5 Million units in its first 5 months on the market.

It may well only reach 9.5 million for a full year who knows the bubble may burst. The Galaxy Tablet may take it by storm, after all competition is good.

The fact remains is 8.5 million in the first 5 months.

The only thing that irks me is when you debate breaching the COC ;)

PaulReaver
October 13th, 2010, 03:46 AM
The only thing that irks me is when you debate breaching the COC ;)

care to explain?

KiwiNZ
October 13th, 2010, 03:49 AM
care to explain?

Not here , not the place.

cascade9
October 13th, 2010, 04:03 AM
It may well have sold 20 million in year 2 , 3 ,4 .......... but in its first 5 months it did not an THAT is what this is about . The iPad has sold 8.5 Million units in its first 5 months on the market.

It may well only reach 9.5 million for a full year who knows the bubble may burst. The Galaxy Tablet may take it by storm, after all competition is good.

The fact remains is 8.5 million in the first 5 months.

5 months? Its over 7 months since the ipad launch (03-04-2010). 8.5 million is 5 months is NOT 'a fact' ;)

BTW, if you follow the links, 8.5 million is only an 'estimate' as well.

KiwiNZ
October 13th, 2010, 04:15 AM
5 months? Its over 7 months since the ipad launch (03-04-2010). 8.5 million is 5 months is NOT 'a fact' ;)

BTW, if you follow the links, 8.5 million is only an 'estimate' as well.

errrr its October that makes it 6 months for the WiFi and 5 for the 3G The figures for the current month would not be in yet . But I am only reporting what I read , its not a life a death situation to me.

IT subjects just don't rank that high in life with what other things I contend with.