PDA

View Full Version : How can I automatically mount hard disks like a USB drive...

MadRush
October 12th, 2010, 07:00 PM
I have a machine with a bunch of removable racks. Where I am now is, I can automatically mount the disks by UUID to already established folders (e.g. /mnt/sdc1)

I want the system to mount them like it does USB drives; I want a folder to pop up in /media named according to the disk label.

Reasons why I want to do it this way:
1. I dont want the system to throw a hissy fit because it expects to see a drive which is statically listed in /etc/fstab. It's a headless system, btw.
2. I want to be able to 'ls /media' to quickly know what disks are in the system and mounted, rather than 'mount' and go blind looking at lines and lines of ...
'/dev/sdf1 on /mnt/sdf1 type ext3 (rw)'
'/dev/sdf2 on /mnt/sdf2 type ext3 (rw)'
'/dev/sdf5 on /mnt/sdf5 type ext3 (rw)'
'/dev/sdf6 on /mnt/sdf6 type ext3 (rw)'
'/dev/sdf7 on /mnt/sdf7 type ext3 (rw)'
'/dev/sdh1 on /mnt/sdh1 type ext3 (rw)'
..ad nauseam. the machine has four removable racks and two internals disks... you get the idea.

MadRush
December 4th, 2010, 02:49 PM
really? nobody?

The Small Human
December 4th, 2010, 02:59 PM
Try in BIOS! Select the drive to boot first.
Good luck :)

searchfgold6789
December 4th, 2010, 03:04 PM
I think you may be looking for software called mountall.
It automatically mounts everything at startup when installed.

MadRush
January 19th, 2011, 05:01 AM
mountall is definitely not what I'm looking for.

What I want is to automatically mount a disk upon boot, but not complain if it's not there. I have a hunch the nature of fstab doesn't allow this...

I don't want to have to authenticate myself to access the disk... it's kind of pointless, it should be able to be done

I think I found the right mount option to use in fstab, though it may not apply because its boot time and it may be governed by other rules...

nofail Do not report errors for this device if it does not exist.

MadRush
January 19th, 2011, 05:17 AM
yeah I just tried adding nofail into /etc/fstab to no avail. i need an expert here... surely this kind of thing isn't a rare problem

j002
January 19th, 2011, 05:30 AM
Well I have system with IDE drives, and if I disconnect one or both, the system doesn't care whether they are there or not.
The (auto-mount ?) icon just doesn't show on the desktop, and with
fdisk -a

It just doesn't show the unconnected drives.

I have the drives mounted DOS style at:
/media/C
/media/D