PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Tomboy file location

dreamquartz
October 12th, 2010, 06:49 PM
Hi All,

I would like to know where Tomboy keeps its notes.
I am doing a re-install of 10.04, but forgot to write down where the notes are kept.
Does anyone know?

hartl_vienna
October 12th, 2010, 07:05 PM
This is the right path

~/.local/share/tomboy

dreamquartz
October 12th, 2010, 11:39 PM
This is the right path

~/.local/share/tomboy

Tx. Much appreciated.

Does anyone know how to read old notes?
I've found them from a previous install, but Tomboy does not want to open them.

sharm
October 13th, 2010, 01:48 AM
1) Make sure Tomboy is not running
2) Copy .note files from backup to new install's note directory ( ~/.local/share/tomboy/ by default)
3) Start Tomboy

That's all there is to it. Your old notes should appear in Tomboy now.

gardara
October 13th, 2010, 01:52 AM
I'd also recommend switching from tomboy to gnote after you've upgraded http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gnote

:)

sharm
October 13th, 2010, 01:55 AM
I'd also recommend switching from tomboy to gnote after you've upgraded http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gnote

:)

That's not helpful. dreamquartz had a simple question with a simple answer. What's the point in berating his choice of software? May as well suggest he switch from Ubuntu to Mac OS X so that he can use TaskPaper.

gardara
October 13th, 2010, 01:58 AM
That's not helpful. dreamquartz had a simple question with a simple answer. What's the point in berating his choice of software? May as well suggest he switch from Ubuntu to Mac OS X so that he can use TaskPaper.

Well, he'd already gotten a reply to his question. gnote is just like tomboy, looks and functions exacly the same but it's written in c++ and much lighter :)

sharm
October 13th, 2010, 02:03 AM
Well, he'd already gotten a reply to his question. gnote is just like tomboy, looks and functions exacly the same but it's written in c++ and much lighter :)

Can you please define "much lighter"? Tomboy uses ~5MB more RAM than Gnote, and starts up instantly. Tomboy also takes up less disk space.

Gnote lacks several key features from Tomboy; the one most relevant to this thread is online note synchronization.

I'm happy for you that you're happy with Gnote, but you appear to be somewhat misinformed about it. And now we are both off-topic, so I'll leave off. Feel free to message me privately if you'd like to continue the discussion.

sgosnell
October 13th, 2010, 02:10 AM
You can tell Tomboy to keep its notes anywhere you like. I have mine in my Dropbox folder, so they're synced automatically to any computer that has Dropbox, and automatically backed up. You can choose any folder you like, not just the default.

sharm
October 13th, 2010, 02:17 AM
You can tell Tomboy to keep its notes anywhere you like. I have mine in my Dropbox folder, so they're synced automatically to any computer that has Dropbox, and automatically backed up. You can choose any folder you like, not just the default.

Yup. This page might help: http://live.gnome.org/Tomboy/Directories

gardara
October 13th, 2010, 02:23 AM
Can you please define "much lighter"? Tomboy uses ~5MB more RAM than Gnote, and starts up instantly. Tomboy also takes up less disk space.

Gnote lacks several key features from Tomboy; the one most relevant to this thread is online note synchronization.

I'm happy for you that you're happy with Gnote, but you appear to be somewhat misinformed about it. And now we are both off-topic, so I'll leave off. Feel free to message me privately if you'd like to continue the discussion.

I'm talking about dependencies too:

gnote
Depends On : boost-libs>=1.43 gtkspell libpanelappletmm libxslt
Optional Deps : None

tomboy
Depends On : gtkspell gmime>=2.4.19 ndesk-dbus-glib>=0.4.1 gnome-sharp>=2.24.1 mono-addins>=0.5 libsm gnome-desktop-sharp>=2.26.0 hicolor-icon-theme
Optional Deps : gnome-panel-bonobo: applet support

Just thought it would be worth mentioning gnote to the original poster since I just discovered it recently after using tomboy for a few years, but I guess it's always someone who has to disagree ;)

saldarji
October 13th, 2010, 02:53 AM
I think Gardara's first post was flame bait. I'm not sure why he insists on pushing his point-of-view that the user should switch to a different application. Well, actually I suspect it is political in nature.

Anyways, please remember to add this Tomboy directory, wherever you have it, to your backup list.

dreamquartz
October 13th, 2010, 05:01 AM
1) Make sure Tomboy is not running
2) Copy .note files from backup to new install's note directory ( ~/.local/share/tomboy/ by default)
3) Start Tomboy

That's all there is to it. Your old notes should appear in Tomboy now.

Tx Sharm

That worked.
Tx participants. Loved the input.

gpw1
November 26th, 2010, 12:22 AM
Hi, I don't want to get involved with the Mono issue...

Please let me know where Ubuntu 10.10 hides the "notes Folder" for Tomboy. It was, I think, in the /usr/local/share/ but I cannot find it any where now... in Ubuntu 10.10 64 bit.

The same issue where is the Gnote Notes folder? In Ubuntu 10.04 it was in a hidden Gnote directory in the Home directory.

I have installed, for the first time, Ubuntu 10.10 64 bit. Could that be an issue here?

I have saved a folder with over 100 Gnotes and don't want to go back to Ubuntu 10.04...to use them.

directhex
November 26th, 2010, 01:16 AM
Hi, I don't want to get involved with the Mono issue...

Please let me know where Ubuntu 10.10 hides the "notes Folder" for Tomboy. It was, I think, in the /usr/local/share/ but I cannot find it any where now... in Ubuntu 10.10 64 bit.

The same issue where is the Gnote Notes folder? In Ubuntu 10.04 it was in a hidden Gnote directory in the Home directory.

I have installed, for the first time, Ubuntu 10.10 64 bit. Could that be an issue here?

I have saved a folder with over 100 Gnotes and don't want to go back to Ubuntu 10.04...to use them.

the location is identical on 10.04 and 10.10 - look in /home/username/.local/share/tomboy or gnote

gpw1
November 26th, 2010, 05:21 PM
Thanks...I appreciate your fast response. I missed the hidden "local"...

Neobuntu
June 1st, 2011, 03:32 AM
Thank you. I have my note, from my deleted Tomboy app, now in gnote. :)